Aldi saw

Rich2484

At £79.99 it's going to attract the wrong type of user in my opinion. If chainsaws were a minimum of say £300, it would put a lot off. I paid £300 for a stihl, about the same on PPE, and then went on a chainsaw course. I'm only a part time user for firewood prep but treat the saw with utmost respect. I think long and hard before starting the engine and the course taught me things I would have only picked up the hard way. I've seen people who should know better, gardeners etc, using chainsaws without a hint of PPE and it gives me the shivers!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At £79.99 it's going to attract the wrong type of user in my opinion. If chainsaws were a minimum of say £300, it would put a lot off. I paid £300 for a stihl, about the same on PPE, and then went on a chainsaw course. I'm only a part time user for firewood prep but treat the saw with utmost respect. I think long and hard before starting the engine and the course taught me things I would have only picked up the hard way. I've seen people who should know better, gardeners etc, using chainsaws without a hint of PPE and it gives me the shivers!

I spotted the saw that is on sale this Thursday in Aldi's 'offers coming up leaflet', and could not believe there was no a mention of the need for PPE, training etc, to use a chainsaw safely, or an age limit on purchase. I bet they have not got PPE on sale with the saw. Not sure how they get away with it!

Can anyone go in and buy one, ie a kid?

Bit like cars - all those cheap ones attract the wrong type of driver in my opinion. If cars were a minimum of say £300,000, it would put a lot off. I paid £300,000 for a 200mph Pagani Zonda supercar, about the same on Alexander Amosu suits, and then had some driving lessons. I'm only a part time weekend driver but treat the car with utmost respect. Hmmmm

I spotted the saw that is on sale this Thursday in Aldi's 'offers coming up leaflet', and could not believe there was no a mention of the need for PPE, training etc, to use a chainsaw safely, or an age limit on purchase. I bet they have not got PPE on sale with the saw. Not sure how they get away with it!

Can anyone go in and buy one, ie a kid?

Steph, I've just found the PPE:

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 23rd August 2012

Bit like cars - all those cheap ones attract the wrong type of driver in my opinion. If cars were a minimum of say £300,000, it would put a lot off. I paid £300,000 for a 200mph Pagani Zonda supercar, about the same on Alexander Amosu suits, and then had some driving lessons. I'm only a part time weekend driver but treat the car with utmost respect. Hmmmm

And your point Dr Pedroski, or is it p1ss taking.

And your point Dr Pedroski, or is it p1ss taking.

Point, apart from piss taking, is why on earth should there be a minimum price for chainsaws to stop "the wrong people" getting them? There is no reason why price should ever be a barrier - plenty of people with money to burn are more stupid than people with nowt. Look at the fool who killed himself yesterday by driving his £300k Zonda like a knob!

In my opinion saws should not be sold by places like Aldi, or even B&Q unless they have suitably trained staff who can FULLY explain the safe use of the equipment.

A qualified tree surgeon has to show his climbing ticket to buy a top handle at a dealer, yet any numpty can limp into Aldi and buy a chainsaw in a box with no assesment at all from the supplier

But then where do you stop? Circular saws? Strimmers? Nail guns? Hand saws? Sharp screw drivers?

I don't think that there should be restrictions on who can sell any equipment. I also don't think there should be restrictions on top handled saws.

But thats just my opinion.

But then where do you stop? Circular saws? Strimmers? Nail guns? Hand saws? Sharp screw drivers?

I don't think that there should be restrictions on who can sell any equipment. I also don't think there should be restrictions on top handled saws.

But thats just my opinion.

The point is that like it or not, the chainsaw is a potentially dangerous bit of kit in uneducated hands.

I agree that the other tools mentioned also have the potential to harm, but not like a saw which has an unguarded chain in close proximity to the operator.

The powers that be obviously feel the same hence the need for the CS tickets, I dont believe the other tools mentioned need training courses in order to be covered by insurance. (maybe the Hilti ?)

So where do you draw the line? I think the chainsaw is at the top of the list and the line is drawn under it.

Incidentally, I am not advocating that potential buyers need to have a recognised certificate, only that sales staff are required to do what I always do. That is to commission the machine and instruct the purchaser in the various controls and adjusters and to explain the danger of kickback, loose chains etc.

Its surely not too much to ask, is it?

But as said, thats just my opinion.

Edited by GardenKit
spelling