The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

I'd love that, but I've brought a TM so not for me this time. I'd

Like to see one convert to a tipper though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

I used to have a 2b forward control with a tipping body, used it around Richmond Park when I used to do the trees in there. Great bit of kit, bit noisy in the cab though!

Off the top of my head....Make sure the LR is 2008 and not a 2007 model.Check that the clutch has been replaced by upgraded part..if not factor in a clutch at some stage?...the 2007 (up to July 2008?)engines had oil piston cooling jet problems resulting in rough idle...LR stated to change the engine if rough idle occurred. Time bomb for that model year. Check that gearbox,diffs and brake servo are all OK.

:)

Hi All,

I have a new problem with my 300tdi (up until now it's been ace). It's done about 200k miles and in the morning it smokes excessively for about 2 miles, then settled down and doesn't smoke much at all. Initially I thought it was valve stem seals, but as far as I can tell they aren't often an issue on these. So I tip the site inflow to the turbo of and it had a lot of oil in it. The turbo impeller has a fair bit of movement, so I'm thinking about replacing that's asap. But it could be oil coming from the breather that links into the air inflow pipe.

If it is coming from the breather anybody got any thoughts, or is the engine about to die? Do I replace the turbo? Tomorrow as soon as I get home I'll disconnect the site pipe from the turbo and see if it leaks any oil overnight (I assume occurs the turbo leaking, when it's running any oil will be sucked to the high pressure side).

Any body had similar problems?

Cheers Mark

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

The turbo impellers will have play north to south but should have none fore and aft. If fore and aft then turbo seals are gone. When some people disconnect the EGR sometimes they forget to disconnect the crankcase breather that goes to the air filter pipe. This means the engine(via the turbo)still sucks in greasy oil,thus putting same into the turbo.

For example my 390,000kms 300tdi turbo has no oil in it and is 100% clean due all pipes having been removed/blocked. Likewise the inlet manifold is clean alloy. Check your intercooler is clean also. Normally it will have oil in so take it off and rinse out with petrol or white spirit. Land Rover make a cleaner solvent just for this purpose.

My breather hose just vents down into the chassis...there are 'catch cans' available to connect same to if need be.

Valve stem oil seals will puff smoke out on overrun,say freewheeling down a hill..check in your door mirrors to see if this is so.

If your turbo seals are indeed shot you can buy turbo cartridges or a seal kit,though if it were I I'd get a recon turbo. If seals are indeed gone you should hear a whistling sound on acceleration. If left the engine will consume it's own oil,by same passing the turbo seals. In the worst case scenario it will eat it's oil at high revs until there's none left thus blowing the engine. keep an eye on your oil level as it will drop enough in a weeks drivings.

:biggrin:

Edited by Ohlins

The turbo impellers will have play north to south but should have none fore and aft. If fore and aft then turbo seals are gone. When some people disconnect the EGR sometimes they forget to disconnect the crankcase breather that goes to the air filter pipe. This means the engine(via the turbo)still sucks in greasy oil,thus putting same into the turbo.

For example my 390,000kms 300tdi turbo has no oil in it and is 100% clean due all pipes having been removed/blocked. Likewise the inlet manifold is clean alloy. Check your intercooler is clean also. Normally it will have oil in so take it off and rinse out with petrol or white spirit. Land Rover make a cleaner solvent just for this purpose.

My breather hose just vents down into the chassis...there are 'catch cans' available to connect same to if need be.

Valve stem oil seals will puff smoke out on overrun,say freewheeling down a hill..check in your door mirrors to see if this is so.

If your turbo seals are indeed shot you can buy turbo cartridges or a seal kit,though if it were I I'd get a recon turbo. If seals are indeed gone you should hear a whistling sound on acceleration. If left the engine will consume it's own oil,by same passing the turbo seals. In the worst case scenario it will eat it's oil at high revs until there's none left thus blowing the engine. keep an eye on your oil level as it will drop enough in a weeks drivings.

HI MATE the chap before just pulled the EGR wire but done breather mate do that need doing to yes thanks jon :thumbup:

HI MATE the chap before just pulled the EGR wire but done breather mate do that need doing to yes thanks jon :thumbup:

Eve'nin....

If you have a look here...

Remove and bypass the EGR valve on a Land Rover 300tdi Engine | Landyworld

You'll see that there's exhaust gas,i.e. soot etc going back into the engine. The crankcase breather comes from the rear of the engine,at the bell housing.

The one from the rear heads over to the turbo intake where the turbo sucks in vapour grease from the crankcase. It joins at a 90 degree elbow. Take this off and re route. The turbo will be dirty and stay dirty if this is not removed.

I blocked the90 degree elbow at the turbo hose with a plastic

bottle top super glued on.

Paddocks will sell the blanking kit (or make your own from a metal plate)

PM1068 | EGR Blanking Kit - all 300TDI

Top intercooler hose also....

ESR2309 | Hose Intercooler

Carry out a google search on Audi or VW EGR problems and you'll see pictures of how bad this system is for any engine....

(On my 3.2 Pajero,I have the same hose blocked with a cork and silicon of all things. The chap before me blocked the EGR but didn't factor in the crankcase hose...luckily for me where it joins the turbo hose the grease vapour stayed en mass in the hose (weird shaped hose helped)and not in the turbo as when I checked it was luckily clean)

Hope this helps

Edited by Ohlins