The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

I've got my eye on a 2004 d5 discovery 91000 miles having never owned a land rover are they a good vehicle? It would only be my weekend car and occasional tow car for our touring caravan.

Td5?

Check the chassis is in good nick. Don't be afraid to stab it with a screwdriver!

Engines are good strong ones. Make sure the air suspension if its got it is in good nick ie bags are good and it does what it should. Spring conversions are relatively simple and cheap if you get problems.

As long as its been serviced well there shouldn't be an issue.

You love it :)

Assuming 7st means 7 seats it will have airbags on the rear suspension.

They can leak sometimes, appearing to "drop" overnight, with a few other teething problems. As Rob says they're problematic but not a big issue to anyone who knows discoverys.

Nothing else springs to mind with me to be a big issue, history would give an all over reassurance, possibilities of needing a clutch ect could be coming up with the mileage but certainly wouldnt put me off buying. The motors are strong, only costly thing can go is a few had head issues, so would be reassuring if its not had any history of head being off etc. The auto is not a weak point on these either, in fact can even be better for wear and tear on props and axles.

Assuming 7st means 7 seats it will have airbags on the rear suspension.

They can leak sometimes, appearing to "drop" overnight, with a few other teething problems. As Rob says they're problematic but not a big issue to anyone who knows discoverys.

Nothing else springs to mind with me to be a big issue, history would give an all over reassurance, possibilities of needing a clutch ect could be coming up with the mileage but certainly wouldnt put me off buying. The motors are strong, only costly thing can go is a few had head issues, so would be reassuring if its not had any history of head being off etc. The auto is not a weak point on these either, in fact can even be better for wear and tear on props and axles.

They use the same r380 box as the 300tdi which are decent boxes. If you start getting more power out the engine from remaps and other gibbons then be careful as they don't like too much power.

I'd be investigating the history and find out if there's been any reoccurring problems or niggles.

The landmark was quite high spec so there will be plenty toys on it. The third row seats are better suited to kids though!

The landmark was quite high spec so there will be plenty toys on it. The third row seats are better suited to kids though!

Used to stick the mother in law in the back.

Couldn't hear a word she said from the front.:001_tt2::001_tt2:

So, driving along today and get's a worryingly strong whiff of warm EP90.

Pulls over and has a look underneath, expecting a nasty surprise but nothing :confused1: That's when I realised the rubber cap had come off the drive flange on the driver's front wheel and had been oozing/spraying over the wheel (enough to mostly cover the whole rim). Not 100% sure but it seems too thick to be just EP90 but too runny to be one shot so thinking it's maybe a bit of both.

It's done this twice now, the first time was a few months ago and I just put a new cap on and thought no more about it, but twice on the same wheel seems to suggest there may be something amiss. Not had this happen with any of the previous ones so bit unsure.

Anyone any suggstions before I start taking stuff to bits?