The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

• 3 weeks later...

I went for Brit part heavy dutys plus 40mm with gas shocks. I ve also kept the helper springs. Redone bushes on anti roll bars and fitted heavy duty a frame joint.

I had standard 130 springs but they got abit tired. So took it to the extreme but it's worth doing it right. Went for a drive and its made one hell of a difference. Highly recommended.

I went for Brit part heavy dutys plus 40mm with gas shocks. I ve also kept the helper springs. Redone bushes on anti roll bars and fitted heavy duty a frame joint.

I had standard 130 springs but they got abit tired. So took it to the extreme but it's worth doing it right. Went for a drive and its made one hell of a difference. Highly recommended.

HI TREE we fitted terrafirma 130 50mm lift there a good spring mate but next time i will fit old man ema thanks jon :thumbup:

Figured this was probably the best place to ask. I'm currently looking to get a bigger truck and have been considering all sorts recently, was wondering how reliable the defender 200/300 tdi's and td5's are, what sort of fuel consumption would I realistically be looking at and also which of the three engines do you think is the best? I'm assuming mechanically (disregarding what engine is present) there mostly the same?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Figured this was probably the best place to ask. I'm currently looking to get a bigger truck and have been considering all sorts recently, was wondering how reliable the defender 200/300 tdi's and td5's are, what sort of fuel consumption would I realistically be looking at and also which of the three engines do you think is the best? I'm assuming mechanically (disregarding what engine is present) there mostly the same?

HI MATE 200/300tdi good old trucks easy to work on td5 not so easy mate but you can lots more power out of a td5 remap you on a 200/300tdi my td5 was runing at 200hp 310lbs TQ but they can be a night mere to work on i think the 200/300 tdi are a better truck thanks jon :thumbup:

They are all good engines in their own right. 200/300 are chugging tractor engines so don't expect to be thrown into your seat much. The 200tdi are generally a bit slower because of the lower geared lt77 gearbox and transfer box. The 300/td5 share the same r380 box but not sure what the transfer boxes are. I think they are the same again. The td5 just gets its spinning faster quicker.

Td5 have a bit more electronics to them so can be difficult to sort easily. The earlier two engines are mechanical so very easy to sort and parts are cheap.

Expect 20mpg. 25 maybe from the td5.

HI MATE 200/300tdi good old trucks easy to work on td5 not so easy mate but you can lots more power out of a td5 remap you on a 200/300tdi my td5 was runing at 200hp 310lbs TQ but they can be a night mere to work on i think the 200/300 tdi are a better truck thanks jon :thumbup:

I have to agree with Jon here on the maintenance point. I personally have a 300tdi 130 and our works 130 is a td5. 300 is easier and simpler to work on as no fancy electronics. The td5 has more top end power but doesn't like pulling things on low revs like the 300 can.

Stick a vnt turbo and a bigger ic on a 300 though and it won't struggle too much to outdo a chipped td5.

Jonny.