Council slapping tpo on tree's

treeracer25

I said it in speach marks just to irritate :001_tt2:

I noticed that Will, not picking on you mate.....no wuckers :001_smile:

(you'll learn what no wuckers is when you get down under. By the way if my visa ever gets sorted I'll buy you a pint in NZ because I like your posts)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, youre attitude stinks.

No ones GRASSING on anyone and certainly no one is being held to RANSOM.

You are twisting words try and make your aguement seem justified.

Here is a cut and paste of the Myerscough Technitians Certificate Course Booklet given to me as a student a couple of years ago.

The LPA cannot refuse to allow the work without making a TPO order and they

cannot grant permission subject to conditions.

If the LPA do make a TPO then they must consider the desirability of preserving the

character of the area. Even if the tree warrants a TPO and order may not be made if

the work is inline with good tree management practice.

This is the point at which I like to stress the importance of developing a good

relationship with the local tree officer(s). If you continually work to good standards

and occasionally “tip off” the local arboricultural officer about a “good” tree that

someone wants felling then you are much more likely to get work that you apply for

granted. This obviously does rely on you only applying for reasonable work, but the

tree officer will be more inclined to grant permission. In the current climate it is more

difficult to do the right thing. The choice is often do I not do the excessive level of

work requested or do I continue to keep a roof over my head. A good point for

discussion on the discussion board - which would you do?

My attitude! Earlier you said tow the line and the works you ask for will be granted but only if you ask for works that would ordinarily be granted, then you said that tipping off or informing or grassing (pick your own phrase they all mean the same) was taught in college, your cut and paste just shows best practice not what you said.

Still temping as an TO.

My opinion is that if I am asked over the phone or via e-mail what is the planning protection status of a tree(s) I state turfully what it is at the time of the enquiry. This does not stop me from viewing the site/trees on web base maps and doing a site visit and deciding that the trees have public visual amenity value. It just means that the Council has to make a decision and then server a new Order quickly befor the tree(s) is/are gone. Sometimes I, get tips offs from contractors, planning officer (per application meetings), enforcement officer who keep an eye of the local estate agents and auction listings, conservation area officer and members of the public. If the trees can be see from a public open space, provide significant public visual amenity value, are healthy and there is a know threat like a enquire of their legal protection, change in land ownership, planning application etc. Then the TPO can be defended legally because these are the tests within the 'Blue Book'.

For sure it is a pain for a contractors but without the enquiry there is no known threat and most Council have not got the reasources to be proactive survey their area for new TPO's and for removing the old ones. So the first time that a Council will often know that there is a known threat to a tree is when they received an CA/TPO enquiry. There is no consprearancy it just the lack of reasources and the requirement to protect trees that provide public visual amenity vaule within a local planning authorities area.

Just be glad that you do have to deal with the local tree huggers that want the Council to TPO every tree no matter the cost implications that could result from such actions!:thumbdown:

Did you say that in a recent thread about H&S?

Not that I recall... but I am no fan of H&S. I think I referred to not wanting to comply with some H&S stuff as a matter of principal.

This may have struck the same kind of chord as my current beer fuelled verbosity:001_smile:

I cant belive some of the views of what people think is right!

This is worse than the sneaky assessor thread!

Wouldn't go down to well for the professional arb industry would it.

" I invited a local professional Arb firm to quote on removing a tree but the guy said 'oh no, I like this tree I'm going to put a stop to you felling it'":thumbdown:

I can't understand the hypocritical views. Ok to fell tree A because I don't like it but tree B is staying wether you like it or not.

IMO TPO's shouldn't be granted without the tree owners permission, yes the tree owner, the one who could end up with a life time of grief and cost because someone decides that it looks nice and then toddles off unaffected by it all!

Sneaky assessors and now sneaky arbs:laugh1: be careful posting threads on 'how would you tackle this job' 'how much would you charge for this' etc etc, someone might just try and stitch you and more importantly your client up.:sneaky2:

I am quite disgusted at what I've read tbh.

This thread is going a bit downhill now :001_smile:

If i go to a job and the client wants to fell a mature 200 year old tree thats perfectly healthy because its blocking his sky signal, i will politly refuse, tell him why I think it should be retained, offer other alternatives -prunning and if he still wants to have it felled he will have to get someone else to do it

Wouldn't you think 200 years is more than enough time for even the slackest of TO,s to get round to protecting the tree

If there has been no known threat to a two hundered old tree and I can not be seen from a public open space why should the tree have been protected by an TPO? I do not have time to drive around the area looking for all the tres that should have a TPO all my time is taken up with task that came in vai my in tray, e-mail and telephone. You do known that due to Council cut backs more and more TO's have no admin support that more and more time is taken up with administering the regulations? I am lucky to get out the office once a week but more likely once a fortnight!:thumbdown: