Outdoor seasoning tips please

Dr.Green

I've just acquired some space in a woodland to store cut split my firewood

My question is what would be the best way to season outdoors as theres no barn or shelter. After a while I could make some shelter however not til winter

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Use 2 long lengths of wood to stack on to keep the splits off the ground, cris cross the ends of the stacks, this will stop them falling over, top couple of rows barkside up if no covering.

Have a look at hearth.com and see ho they do this in the US.

Some fantastic woodstacks on there which will give you the right idea. :thumbup1:

Put a post in either end between the base timbers. Get about a foot up the stack, tie a piece of baling string to a log, stack this log at least three feet into the pile, tie the other end to the end post. Stack logs above string, repeat every foot or so. The weight of the logs above the string will then hold the posts upright.

A

Use 2 long lengths of wood to stack on to keep the splits off the ground, cris cross the ends of the stacks, this will stop them falling over, top couple of rows barkside up if no covering.

Have a look at hearth.com and see ho they do this in the US.

Some fantastic woodstacks on there which will give you the right idea. :thumbup1:

I did something similar when I cleared a piece of alder woodland that was all about 15 years old - but stacked it without splitting in about 1.5m lengths, without being covered.

The joy was that when I came to retrieve, it was easy enough to cut "slices" of logs off the ends of the 1.5 lengths, so no more handling.

It all seasoned well; the long lengths that were on the ground ended up a bit the worse for wear but I guess if I'd had any to hand I could have used pallets.

Cubic meter vented log bags with some plastic or tarp stapled on to stop rain getting into the bag.

All other methods involve too much handling, this way the bag is filled when splitting and moved via tractor loader to store area. The bag is only moved when it's sold or used.

I leave our alder out in a similar way. Cut to 1m logs then split in 4 (or whatever) billets. Alder splits easilly in 1m lengths with a maul. Then I use some lumpy old rubbish logs as bases on the corners and build a sort of cage structure with the billets. I don't bother covering the top but do make sure the bark is facing upwards. Left in the sun, this will season perfectly in 6 months. Then onto the horse or chopsaw to cut into logs.

Cubic meter vented log bags with some plastic or tarp stapled on to stop rain getting into the bag.

All other methods involve too much handling, this way the bag is filled when splitting and moved via tractor loader to store area. The bag is only moved when it's sold or used.

I must say, now that we have 3 stoves going, one all year, efficiency has become more important to me. I'm looking at havings some kind of portable conveyor into a trailer / truck which has a crate or bag in it so as we cut the coppice it gets logged there and then to final size and is conveyed into the vessel it will stay in until burning. Then chugged back to base and from then on can be handled with the bobcat.