Where does the money go?

Dave123

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone work for profit? I think that's pretty reasonable to price in :001_tt2:

If you turnover nearly 2.5 k a week for say 40 weeks, that's 100k.

This leaves 3 months of the year to sit on a beach in Goa sipping cold Kingfishers. (not that I actually go there with my time)

But, yes there is a profit.:001_smile:

I did a favor for family 5-7 tall leylandii. Trunk girth 40-60cm diameter. Quoted £300 to just drop them and chip on site. Took around 20 man hours(tight awkward area to work in) Paid brother £100 or 150 cant remember. Plus costs in tractor/saw fuel etc.

Got a puncture on the front tractor tyre it was a write off, sidewall damage. New tyre £312. Me out of pocket by alot.

I would of quoted at least double normally.

I did a favor for family 5-7 tall leylandii. Trunk girth 40-60cm diameter. Quoted £300 to just drop them and chip on site. Took around 20 man hours(tight awkward area to work in) Paid brother £100 or 150 cant remember. Plus costs in tractor/saw fuel etc.

Got a puncture on the front tractor tyre it was a write off, sidewall damage. New tyre £312. Me out of pocket by alot.

I would of quoted at least double normally.

I broke a newish chain on an 020 this week then today I hit barbed wire with my hedge cutter and bent the blade. I straightened it out and it works but it won't be the same.

Must buy some 2 stroke oil too. This week is still gonna be an earner and I'm looking good for cold ones somewhere hot this winter:thumbup1:

Chippers And saws break down or blow up if your working them at rate to make that profit..... there's chains,fuel,wages,insurance,yard rent,finance bla bla bla I ain't been on holiday in 4 years and then there is your tax bill just to cover it all if you have not lost enough or done the books properly to cover the above and working all day and then nights to do your invoices and quotes whilst being undercut to make your daily money.. Yes Dave that seems a lot of money but to run a legitimate business cost a lot of money... But it's a labour of love go with recommendations and you should be ok.

No one seems to have mentioned that we are highly skilled tradesman doing an incredibly dangerous job! Is that not worth more than minimum wage!?!

I am not on minimum wage, far from it.

I am an entrepeneur:001_smile:

Unfortunately we are not classed as skilled tradesmen - but perhaps should be.

Consider the training cost for the team taking down the connies - the cost of experience and the face value of the relevant tickets - 30,31,maybe 32, perhaps 38,39 & 41 if they need dismantling rather than just cutting into the road.

chipper, chapter 8.