Jobs for the boys! - More qualifications

johnnyalpha

Is it me or are more and more people jumping on the H and S band wagon and making the cost of operating more and more expensive?

I went to renew our teams CSCS cards today and am now told that we now have to do a ROLO 1 day Health and Safety Test.

The fact that even our basic team members all hold PTS, EUSR, UA1, CS39, Chipper, Unit 2 Signing Lighting Guarding, First Aid we are still going to need the ROLO card. Even holding CITB Site Supervisor 3 day certificates isn't enough!

So my rant really is over what is happening with testing and certification?:confused1:

HSE as far as I understand having spoken to a Principal Inspector are expecting 5 year refreshers so why are the UA tickets on 3 yearly cycles?

It does seem to be becoming a job for the boys and forgetting the need behind the training and assessment which is safe, competent staff who have a respect for the environment, people and equipment they use.

Any one else having the same thoughts?

Been having these thoughts for years since doing my cpcs tickets.

Blame the idiots that hurt themselves through there own stupid fault. Some idiot hurts themselves then goes through insurance so the ins companies want more done to prevent a payout.

Spent two weeks getting my tickets and IMO it was a waste of time as most of the stuff thaught was about being safe not on actually how to use the machines to there full potential that I had to learn on site from others. And learn by doing actions. Many an hour spent after work "playing" with a machine to see what I could do. And being taught by the more senior drivers.

Tickets are a good way for companies to cover there backsides incase some moron hurts themselves doing something they shouldnt.

certification is big money for sombody who sets up as a provider. my question is who governs these organisations and if the question will ever be asked "do we really need more to keep appearing". i really dont know how i survived the obviously suicidal act of going to work back in the 80's

certification is big money for sombody who sets up as a provider. my question is who governs these organisations and if the question will ever be asked "do we really need more to keep appearing". i really dont know how i survived the obviously suicidal act of going to work back in the 80's

Its all a question of balance though is it not?

I mean, its one thing to say we need a certificate for competence in chainsaw use, but the number of different NPTC tickets these days is pretty mental, when we got our set up mewp and use a chainsaw ticket we thought that was enough, but then no one would hire us a MEWP of a worthy size or category without the IPAF, even now we can only do 1B category Mewps (most complex usage, so why not do one ticket to caver mewps in general?)

How can I convince my boss to send me to really worthwhile CPD events that would ACTUALY benifit us in advancing our arboriculture when he has to sit on that cash for when they rules get upgraded or changed?

Surely after 25 years in this industry using cranes, mewps and doing a range of situations that you wouldnt send your worst enemy into means I can stop being treated like an irresponsible teenager!:001_huh:

I want to learn about soil and be at the cutting edge of tree health and mechanics, not being taught how to suck eggs!:lol:

I dont mind being expected to train, or to do high quality CPD, but most of it is just as the title suggests, none of ity actualy makes a jot of difference to the art and science of arboriculture, it holds it back!

Forgive the ignorance guys - I'm a newbie - but what were you all talking acronyms about? I know the CSs, MEWP, and a few others.

But what are: CSCS cards; Rolo 1-day(Chocies); PTS; Unit 2 Signing and Lighting; CITB Site Supervisor; CPCS tickets; IPAF 1B tickets??!!:blushing: