Stump Grinding yay or nay?

YoGi_93

:dito:

i like having the ability to do stumps if needed, bigger stumps go to stump busters as i find large stumps are a pain to do and are incredibly mundane plus i cant get near stump busters on price (£2+Vat per inch)

i own 3 grinders and my biggest (carlton 2500-04) will be going up for sale soon as i havnt used it since the first week of january

£2+vat per inch? Is that measured across the widest part of the stump, diameter, cubed or what? That seems very cheap being only £48ish + vat for a 2 ft stump.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stumps are like firewood, either a sideline or distraction in a small tree surgery business .

Put the same effort into tree work as you would grinding and recieve far greater rewards.

Climbing is the cream, everything else is a lower rate.

I have never lost a job due to me not doing the stump personally.

Really?:confused1:

We pick up plenty of jobs BECAUSE we can grind stumps too.

Personally, I have no interest in spending every working day in the trees and as I am have a decent team behind me I can take time out from climbing and rest my weary bones on the comfy handlebars of a money generating grinder.

I find your post smacks of purist arrogance:sneaky2:

Frankly all I care about is making a decent living and I find grinding to be rather profitable and fully intend to develop this side of the business.:thumbup1:

Perhaps if YOU spent less time on arbtalk and more time climbing...hhhh:001_tt2:

Regards

Ty

We have just bought a new Carlton SP2010 from orange plant this is our first grinder always hired one or gave the job to a friend who owns a grinders. But never really pushed the grinding if they asked we would get it sorted, but now offering that extra service its surprising how much work comes in for it, and it's just nice being able to offer a complete service to our customers.

I can make as much money in a day with me and a crappy old dosko as I can with two guys and all the kit.

I like it one a rainy day, guys ring me up asking if we have work on, I can just send em out to do stumps! I have quotes to do but theres a few hours left at the end of the day, send em out to do stumps, my guys are out on a job and I have some time, I send myself out to do stumps!

And you pick up lots of other work while doing it

Take last Friday mornings job where the neighbour popped his head over the half dead leyland hedge in total awe of our Bandit grinder.

Turns out another local arb had given a price for the hedge but not the stumps which caused this chap to think again about accepting the quote.

We proposed a price there and then and as we where well ahead of schedule we took out the hedge and ground out the roots in 2 hours for a cool 320euros taking our days takings up to 550 euros for a half days work with the 2 jobs both being non-climbing and half stump removal.

Both won on the back of being able to grind out stumps.

We are also considering wasp, bee and hornet removal too...

Ty