Ichneumon Wasp

Kennedy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rob, wood wasps dont have stings they have ovipositors for probing bore holes in wood, it is possible it bit you but highly unlikely.

I saw a giant wood wasp when I was a small boy . It flew into my mates glass house . It looked the same as your usual jasper ( black / yellow stripes ) only much bigger with the long spike on the tail through which it lays its eggs . At the time I thought it was a sting but know better now . Was cutting a yew hedge and out came the orange hornets ! I limped off as fast as I could !

It was orange and looked like a small stick insect, I'll see if I can find a similar google image

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Sounds a bit like Enicospilus ramidulus, although they don't have a sting.

7522852336_fc39d529dc_z.jpg

Or maybe Megarhyssa superba...

i351.jpg

Haha, this had turned into quite a good thread, after reading quite a bit and trying to find a decent pic (the ones above are pretty close) it turns out that Ichneumon's can sting if they feel threatened and do it out of self defence.

I got stung because one was in my bed sheets, I got into bed and must have rolled onto it, it DID, sting the back if my knee before it got squished, poor thing....

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Haha, this had turned into quite a good thread, after reading quite a bit and trying to find a decent pic (the ones above are pretty close) it turns out that Ichneumon's can sting if they feel threatened and do it out of self defence.

I got stung because one was in my bed sheets, I got into bed and must have rolled onto it, it DID, sting the back if my knee before it got squished, poor thing....

Sent from my Galaxy S2

lol, would seem you really are a "special case" Robin!:lol: