conifers by railway line advice please

likeitorlumpit

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]97369[/ATTACH]

This might help!!

Yea cheers- got that and contact plus start of e mail trail but I'm now going to meet Mick tomorrow and we'll see.

It's not that I'm nervous about trees- I mean we've done plenty but never this close to the rail and thats what makes me hesitate....

I'll update tomorrow.

Rail track estimated cost for our day next to the rail way at £2,074+VAT. As I said we told them the client couldn't pay so they let us off that bit.

There was an 11 page document to sign and lots of waiting about

We had to have a Network rail safety briefing

Visitor track permits for all on site

Hi viz orange including trousers (they let me off up the tree..)

We should have had blue helmets, again they let us off.

Once we had got started on the initial cutting the COSS decided it was too dangerous and we had to stop and return to do it at night!

So we caused considerable upset to the neighbourhood and had a particularly bright police man asking me what I was doing up a tree at 4 in the morning!

Rail track estimated cost for our day next to the rail way at £2,074+VAT. As I said we told them the client couldn't pay so they let us off that bit.

There was an 11 page document to sign and lots of waiting about

We had to have a Network rail safety briefing

Visitor track permits for all on site

Hi viz orange including trousers (they let me off up the tree..)

We should have had blue helmets, again they let us off.

Once we had got started on the initial cutting the COSS decided it was too dangerous and we had to stop and return to do it at night!

So we caused considerable upset to the neighbourhood and had a particularly bright police man asking me what I was doing up a tree at 4 in the morning!

Thats what I was looking forward to.

Working at night on this estate might generate a few shall we say issues.

It is a pain working with network rail! If it is a private client they have the option to waive the expensive fees, but do it by the book as they charge REALLY SILLY money if you block the line!

To be fair the cost per minute of a line closure/blockage is something like £1k per minute!

To be fair the cost per minute of a line closure/blockage is something like £1k per minute!

Depends what line your working on to the cost of compensation. End of the day you must think there is a possibility of you fouling the line or you would bot of bothered to contact network rail or start this thread. Just think is one jobworth losing your business over if it went wrong?

does your insurance cover you because alot of policies exclude working on the railways even if you did not intend too

That's a cost to network rail, not third party etc. don't know what that would be

If you take out say ecm1 then you will be getting done for around 10 grand a minute!

If its some little freight line then wont cost as much...

since train companys rent the rail infrastructure off network rail its up to NWR to keep the lines running.. If they stop trains they have to pay compensation to train companys that are affected.. So NWR then look to recover that money from whoever is responsible and also any costs associated with bus transfers and work to fix the problem etc:thumbup1:

Well - Two heads are better than one and together we decided it was a tough call. We're going down the whole Network Rail thing just for the experience really as I expect they'll say we arn't ticketed to do it.

It's just got this 'potential' for disaster and I don't need the work but I like a challenge- something to get buzzed up for.

I'll keep posting when I know how they want to do it- hope you don't get to see it on the 6 o'clock....