Hiring out my splitter???

saintdeanop07

Hi arbtalkers,

I know from reading some of the threads on here that a few of you already hire out your splitters. Any hints or tips on insurance or paperwork that I might need to put in place before I do? Also is it a worthwhile business venture or more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks in advance.

personally i hire me with it so i wont break it! bear in mind some timber can really fly off them..

hiluxstihl has the best idear, do you use it your self or is it something you have recently required ? I have used one for many years and know all to well how easy it is to take off a bollock or finger let alone have a peace of exploding macci fly through some ones patio window, unless you are a large hire company i don't think you will get insurance best to offer splitter and operator as a package. i offer mine at £150 half day rate 2-3 tons half day 5-6 tons full day ,with lots of tea and cake, but i try not to do any full days as you have to remove your brain at the end of the day and flush your head out with red wine.:thumbup1: mine is a kubota with a pto splitter . with a discount offered on timber produced by my company .

Ours goes out with operator for £25/hour plus travel if further than 10 miles (road towable with petrol engine 13T)

Had it about 3 years and it has been out about 15 times

More often than not the jobs are only for a half day and usually dealing with a pile of half rotten willow or poplar!

Most of the jobs have all been splitting rotting piles of discs that the man of the house has been unable to do after telling the people doing the tree work that he would like to keep and split the discs for his own fire. On all occasions its been the lady of house who has arranged for me do the work.

I get about 5 splitting jobs a year... no more than a day or half days work each one. I certainly would not be buying a splitter and thinking i could have it rented out 10 weeks of the year so it can pay for its self!