climbing gear bags

arbogrunt

over the years, I've tried various makes of gear bag. They all seem to fall to bits after a year, some even quicker. I've been soldiering on with a Stein bag which I have totally worn out and need to replace before I start losing bits of expensive climb gear. I've been looking at one of these;

SNUGPAK KIT MONSTER 120 LITRE CARGO TRAVEL BAG/HOLDALL | eBay

120L would take all my gear, anyone tried one?

I've also had a shufti at Gelert and Ortlieb bags, both good makes I've had experience with before. It doesn't have to have 'Husky, Stihl or Stein' written on it after all!

I've also had a shufti at Gelert and Ortlieb bags, both good makes I've had experience with before. It doesn't have to have 'Husky, Stihl or Stein' written on it after all!

The Gelert bags are quite good, but they have two problems. Firstly, the straps are underdimensioned (and snap), secondly, the material is quite stiff (especially in cold weather), making it quite difficult to operate the zipper.

I have bitten the bullet and purchased a couple of North Face "Base Camp Duffel Bag". They exist in sizes from 25 to 155 litres, and they are really well made. But expensive (although you may get lucky on ebay)

Edited by morten

over the years, I've tried various makes of gear bag. They all seem to fall to bits after a year, some even quicker. I've been soldiering on with a Stein bag which I have totally worn out and need to replace before I start losing bits of expensive climb gear. I've been looking at one of these;

SNUGPAK KIT MONSTER 120 LITRE CARGO TRAVEL BAG/HOLDALL | eBay

120L would take all my gear, anyone tried one?

I like the look of that Snugpak bag. I've got Snugpak sleeping bags and they're top quality. I'm tempted now....

The Snuggpack and the Black Diamond look good.

All I know is that from experience, if you fill any bag until its heavy it'll break.

I prefer to have a rope bag for rope and SRT gear and a holdall for everything else.

black diamond bag wont

they are designed to be dragged up rockfaces, a far harsher environment than being carried from a truck to a tree and chucked back into the truck laterthat day

black diamond bag wont

they are designed to be dragged up rockfaces, a far harsher environment than being carried from a truck to a tree and chucked back into the truck laterthat day

i second that mate. ive had my black diamond bag 6 odd years now and it has had a battering. still going strong. i can get two ropes, harness full of bling, throwline cube, spikes and helmet as well as any other little odds and ends in mine.

buy quality, buy once. job done.:thumbup1:

black diamond bag wont

I agree. I've used North Face Duffels for 18 years and I've still got the originals.

Look up photos of any expedition and you'll see these bags on mules, sherpas, camels, roofracks etc.

They are expensive but also long-lived.