Milk it

Rich2484

The farmers in the direct supply chain are ok in general, it's the ones who supply a processor who supply a supermarket which are struggling, as I understand it.

You are correct. Its farmers supplying processors who are protesting. The price of cream has dropped which is what the processor was making a profit on so passing a higher price onto the farmer for milk. The public are buying less cream and want less cream in their milk (health?) so there is a flood of cheap cream.

Lets not forget the farmer doesn't have to farm. He would be able to retire comfortably on the sale of the farm as land prices are high. I have a friend who has done so in Dorset. Also the single payment scheme (subsidy) allows him to not to farm just top his grass a few times a year and still receive his subsidy cheque for not actually farming.

And yes hodge is right the disco 4 is the vehicle of choice here in norfolk! but then farming in this county is a different kettle of fish.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not forget the farmer doesn't have to farm. He would be able to retire comfortably on the sale of the farm as land prices are high.

That's little different from saying that teachers don't have to teach, nurses don't have to provide healthcare or soldiers don't have to join the army; so therefore we can treat them any way we like. People have a right to fair treatment whatever their career choice and being put over a barrel by a customer that can dictate price is hardly fair!

Also, you can't forget that many farms are tenanted - the farmers have invested a lot in their farms and can't sell up just because times are hard. Besides, if dairy farming isn't profitable, who's going to buy the land? Chances are the land is unsuitable for arable production, which is why it is in (the less profitable) dairy in the first place.

Next thing we know we have planning rules being relaxed allowing farmers to sell to developers....:cursing::cursing::cursing:

That's little different from saying that teachers don't have to teach, nurses don't have to provide healthcare or soldiers don't have to join the army; so therefore we can treat them any way we like. People have a right to fair treatment whatever their career choice and being put over a barrel by a customer that can dictate price is hardly fair!

:confused1:Err..... farmers are self-employed they chose who they sell to, teachers and the others you mention are employed, very different.

What next?? do we want the government setting prices for all trades?????????

If the farmers chose who they sold to, do you really think they'd choose to sell it to someone who paid less than the cost of production?

The buyers control the market, removing choice from the seller.

Employed, self-employed - the effect is the same. People make a career choice and shouldn't get shafted for it.

Most farmers round my way seem to be driving disco 4's yet say there is no money in farming:)

HI HODGE thats because NFU gives 3/5% cash off the price :thumbup1: on top of dealer %%%:thumbup1: if your with them most are so thats good but the NFU GET BACK IN THE %%% BACK IN THE END :thumbdown:JON:thumbup:

As someone who lives in a very rural area, iv'e been following this thread with interest. Iv'e grown up with farms surrounding my house, and have lots of contacts with the farming community.

I know this thread was about milk prices, and to be fair, a lot of farmers round here have stopped producing milk. Howevere, most farms around here are hill farms producing lamb. the trade is good and land prices are at record levels. On the very rare occasions that land comes up for sale its snapped up almost straight away.

There is a web site called Nature On The Map that shows some of the grants that each farmer has got or will get. Go to agri-environmental schemes and you should be able to see what your local farmers are getting in grants.

You are correct. Its farmers supplying processors who are protesting. The price of cream has dropped which is what the processor was making a profit on so passing a higher price onto the farmer for milk. The public are buying less cream and want less cream in their milk (health?) so there is a flood of cheap cream.

Lets not forget the farmer doesn't have to farm. He would be able to retire comfortably on the sale of the farm as land prices are high. I have a friend who has done so in Dorset. Also the single payment scheme (subsidy) allows him to not to farm just top his grass a few times a year and still receive his subsidy cheque for not actually farming.

And yes hodge is right the disco 4 is the vehicle of choice here in norfolk! but then farming in this county is a different kettle of fish.

He will be buggered next year then when you have to be actively farming your land to receive the payment, Its no where near as straight forward as you make it out to be my friend!

People have a right to fair treatment whatever their career choice and being put over a barrel by a customer that can dictate price is hardly fair!

:

Fair there is nothing fair about agriculture in this country!

My grandfather was a coal miner they weren't treated fair!

Fair there is nothing fair about agriculture in this country!

My grandfather was a coal miner they weren't treated fair!

The miners did indeed get a hard time, but that doesn't make it right that the farmers are all getting dry bummed now.