More protection in climbing PPE..?

Acer Forestry

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want waterproof sandals. T shirt won't be waterproof due to the massive holes in the arms and neck. Only way to prevent water getting in is to extend them. Imagine a tshirt with extended arms and neck to make it waterproof. Here's what it might look like....

mmm.looks like a jacket to me, i dont mind my arms being cold and wet, and the helmet stops the back of the kneck getting wet. its the wet back i hate.

since no one is going for my awesome idea i will just accept its a crap idea and never mention it again:thumbdown:but the best waterproof i have had is a Swazi, had my first one 4 years, mole skin over goretex. excellent and i bought the new verion last year. well worth the money:001_smile:

Skin isn't waterproof...it leaks sweat and absorbs water...do a counter full of dishes and look at your prune fingers.

My Dad was a letter carrier for years. His routes were mixed walking and mounted. He maintained that you would either get wet from the inside or the outside. This is years before good synthetic materials and clothing design were on the market.

When Gore Labs made Goretex they took the marketing of waterproof/breathable [wb] in the wrong direction. And now, most people buy the concept that they can be dry inside if they buy clothing made with a GT-type material. Not so...I've been dryer even in rain with less than wb clothing. Managing the sweat and heat that your body produces is very complex. Adjusting your venting quickly is key to staying warm and dry.

Are you serious about wanting a waterproof tshirt or are you making a silly joke? WP means no water goes through it. Wear a vinyl shirt or bag and you'll have waterproof. If you want to be more comfortable get rid of ALL!!! your cotton clothing.

Read up on how wicking layers work. Moving water as vapor from the skin to the outside of clothing where it can evaporate without drawing heat from your skin is key. There are SOOO many incredible fabrics available now. But the fabrics can get overwhelmed if venting isn't used.

i would like a piece of clothing, of similar design to a t-shirt.to keep my torso dry when it rains, if it can stop me dripping from sweat when i am working that would be tip top.

i wear ice breaker t shirts just now which are excellent for sweating, you can wear them for a fortnight in the middle of summer and you dont get followed about by flies. they are made from mareno wool. but they rip easy, and at 20-30 quid a shot thats not cool.

i would like a piece of clothing, of similar design to a t-shirt.to keep my torso dry when it rains, if it can stop me dripping from sweat when i am working that would be tip top.

i wear ice breaker t shirts just now which are excellent for sweating, you can wear them for a fortnight in the middle of summer and you dont get followed about by flies. they are made from mareno wool. but they rip easy, and at 20-30 quid a shot thats not cool.

spray on latex? :001_tongue:

Skin isn't waterproof...it leaks sweat and absorbs water...do a counter full of dishes and look at your prune fingers.

My Dad was a letter carrier for years. His routes were mixed walking and mounted. He maintained that you would either get wet from the inside or the outside. This is years before good synthetic materials and clothing design were on the market.

When Gore Labs made Goretex they took the marketing of waterproof/breathable [wb] in the wrong direction. And now, most people buy the concept that they can be dry inside if they buy clothing made with a GT-type material. Not so...I've been dryer even in rain with less than wb clothing. Managing the sweat and heat that your body produces is very complex. Adjusting your venting quickly is key to staying warm and dry.

Are you serious about wanting a waterproof tshirt or are you making a silly joke? WP means no water goes through it. Wear a vinyl shirt or bag and you'll have waterproof. If you want to be more comfortable get rid of ALL!!! your cotton clothing.

Read up on how wicking layers work. Moving water as vapor from the skin to the outside of clothing where it can evaporate without drawing heat from your skin is key. There are SOOO many incredible fabrics available now. But the fabrics can get overwhelmed if venting isn't used.

Couldn't agree more. I burnt my waxed jacket the day I discovered technical gear. Burn the cotton work wear now.