Duty new bloke, need advice!!

larry

:001_smile:

Gents & Ladies

I hope you all had a great christmas and business is booming!!

I'm looking to leave the Royal Marines in the next 5 months, after 10 "hoofing" years, however time to move on, at 31, life is still there to be lived!!

I am entitled to all the training grants and resetlement courses, and I intend to train in the field of tree surgery.

I live on the south coast, near Portsmouth.

Can you provide me with the basic quals required, training persons or establishments where I can obatin my tickets.

How is business generally, are you feeling the "credit crunch" and the general financial issues at the moment.

Once qualified, I appriciate that quality experiance is worth a thousand qualifications, but is there decent well paid arbicultural work out there.

I am keen and willing to work with companies on jobs to gain experiance, I have my own transport, but not invisage having any kit as yet.

Any top tips and advice is well recieved.

Thanks and kind regards

Larry.:001_smile:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh mate, nip up the A3 to Guildford and have a look at Merrist Wood College as well. The ten week tree surgery course would be a good heads up for you and would give you enough tickets to get a start. Might as well use that resettlement grant for something worthwhile. There is digs there to live in if you don't fancy the trip each day.

You all ready have the right skill base to do well in this industry (ex-forces) so i'd concentrate on getting some hands on experience.

Pretty good money to be made as a contract climber it's finding those postions with little or no experience that will be your hurdle.

Try looking for decent companies in your area and approach them for some gratis work experience if you can.........Good Luck :beer:

Bad industry to get into at this point mate. Credit crunch is biting hard in a lot of quarters.

Having said that, as an ex forces man you will have several advantages, like self discipline, good work ethic, responsible attitude etc.

Be prepared to relocate if you want to get a job..

Bad industry to get into at this point mate. Credit crunch is biting hard in a lot of quarters.

Having said that, as an ex forces man you will have several advantages, like self discipline, good work ethic, responsible attitude etc.

Be prepared to relocate if you want to get a job.

Hoofin!

mate dont do it , i've seen multiple new starters go to the wall this year.

a career , well maybe but with an increased amount of skilled labor already available then where will you fit in ??

good job but a bad bad time to join go for an undertaker, or baliff always in demand

DOOM and GLOOM:thumbdown:

Maybe but i'd always employ ex-forces personnel over some of the muppet new starters from Tescos I've had the pleasure of.

A lot of firms will be after cheaper staff with the required attitude i'd see it as an opportunity. The guy will get trained for free after all.