Great service FR Jones - shame about my Stein mini-reach

Andrew Barrett

Oops...I meant to say 'as the person who started this thread'!

Would also like to say I'm very pleased with my Stein single bollard and arbor trolley. And neither of my Stein rope bags have broken so far - and I really like the internal springs that hold them upright when empty to make it easy to feed the rope back in.

I would be very disappointed if Stein stopped selling the mini-reach and I would happily pay £30-40 for a much more robust version of the same tool. If you try it you'll see how useful it is.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Stein: you made some miscalculations when you worked out how strong the mini-reach (45kg pull) and little metal ring (20kg pull) need to be. The problem occurs when you climb around the tree and either the ring or the end of the mini-reach gets caught on a branch or fork. Then when you pull yourself through or push up from your legs you exert a force needed to lift your whole body - i.e. 80kg+. That's how it got broken.

Andrew, perhaps it would have been more fair of you to have started the thread with this information on how YOU broke the tool before getting a free replacement......as it is you left out that part, leaving 5 pages of potentially damaging comments which could no doubt affect the sales of a useful product.

This tool is meant for placing ropes etc in hard to reach places, hence the low strength. As far as I see it, Stein have covered themselves on this point with the breaking strengths they have listed. It is your responsibilty as the climber to ensure it doesnt get snagged when working your way through tight forks etc. Personally I think you were very lucky indeed to get a free replacement.

Further to that though, I appreciate how easily something like this can get snagged, so perhaps a better option of stowing it is needed to prevent this. I don't personally use one, but if I were to, it strikes me that that most sensible place to put it would be snugged up beside your handsaw in a sawpod :thumbup1:

This thread reminds me of the time I got a call from a customer 6 weeks after I cut his conifer hedge, he was in a rage about how it had grown a foot and I was to come back and trim it down free of charge, his wife even joined in on the other phone.

2 delightful oap's 8.30pm in July, prime growing season.:sneaky2:

My mistake was to do lots of freebies while I was there, so instead of them seeing kindness , they thought I was weak and could take advantage of this:thumbdown:

So to some up it up, the OP broke the stein product by himself, not actually when using it to do what it was made of, has had a free replacement from a dealer yet still isn't happy with the product:confused1:

Sorry guys - obviously it's my fault it got broken. I didn't realise you should never leave it attached to your belt in between using it up a tree with the supplied carabiner for...attaching it to your belt!

Having said that I think I will stick it down my Sawpod with the Silky in future. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry guys - obviously it's my fault it got broken. I didn't realise you should never leave it attached to your belt in between using it up a tree with the supplied carabiner for...attaching it to your belt!

No need for the sarcasm, you know full well that wasn't exactly what I said :001_smile:

I'm more than happy will all of the Stein gear that i've purchased to date from PPE to the Arbtrolly.

I purchased the minireach last weekend. Haven't used it yet but i'm sure that it will be worth the money.

However, i would like to complain about the 60p gloves that broke to pieces when I was feeding brush into the chipper!