price for splitting a cube of logs

Busy Daddy

A palax combi doing 4-5 bags per hour on small stuff , so when i get into the good going i should manage 5-6 cube per hour

Just wondering if this was a good price as i have around 300 tonnes to do for him

5-6cube equiats to 2.5t-3t per hour x 8hrs top side24t a day !!:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Busy Daddy can hac it, though it must be 20 years since we worked together and the years have obviously been more kinder to me than him :)

Hey Simon if you want to call in and give a hand you are most welcome

I bet it is a long time since you split any logs

Tell you what i will give you £5 to fill a bag and i will watch to see how it is done

20yrs dosent seem that long

So you turnover £3000 they turn over £30,000 and you do most of the work.

Thats the problem of using a cost plus basis of pricing rather than thinking logically and working backwards starting at selling price then giving an acceptable margin to the estate and your left with a profitable business.

So you turnover £3000 they turn over £30,000 and you do most of the work.

Sounds about right , but not that simple in this case

The timber is miles from anywhere ,so no wagon access , it has been moved once already from a bad site , then they have to move from site as it is a public right of way i think they have already lost some

If it had been in a yard somewhere there would have been a lot more profit as up here we are on £70 a cube

That's business at the end of the day - I don't see a problem with it myself. So long as the OP is earning what he needs to and is happy then the final value of the finished product is irrelevant surely?

Maybe but if they own the wood it has cost £14 a tonne to get it to the processor plus £10 to process. So thats £24 and they sell for £70 per 3/4 tonne or 1 cubic metre. Still seems to be a huge margin for them and not much for the self employed machine owning hardworking busy daddy. If you bought the cord yourself should see £40 a tonne for you time. Just my view which may be completely wrong and I am sure I have overlooked alot.

Maybe but if they own the wood it has cost £14 a tonne to get it to the processor plus £10 to process. So thats £24 and they sell for £70 per 3/4 tonne or 1 cubic metre. Still seems to be a huge margin for them and not much for the self employed machine owning hardworking busy daddy. If you bought the cord yourself should see £40 a tonne for you time. Just my view which may be completely wrong and I am sure I have overlooked alot.

The OP quite possibly has his own pile of processed firewood awaiting a buyer right now - he might as well be earning a living out of his machinery by processing other people's timber instead of leaving it sitting around depreciating. I would personally want more than £10 per cube for processing with my own kit, but I'm sure market forces dictate the price (£400 a day sounds like amazing money when you compare it to the Devon/Cornwall stump grinding rates discussed on another post).

Yes they own the timber , the gardener / woodsman cut the timber so i would guess it took a couple of days to cut , and it will take them a full day at least to transport it to the yard then delivery costs it all adds up to less profit margins then the price of the bags

It is there first attempt at logs and are going straight in at the deep end by going HETAS so not sure how it will go for them

Yes i run a part time firewood yard doing around 1000 cube a year so it is just another income really