oh boy it's assessment time

jennie

i've got my cs38 in just under a week and although i should be okay (fingers crossed) i was just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips or advice they could give me as the schedule isn't uber helpful. thanks in advance. x

Take your time even on the rescues, your being judged on doing everything correctly not ultra quickly. Same thing when your asked to move around the crown.

Are you familiar with all the rescue methods? Single line rescue, double line, false anchor point etc. Keep talking to your casualty to re-assure them, 'ambulance is on it way', 'keep the pressure on your wound' .... you feel like a right tit saying it but assessors like to see it and it shows you know what to be thinking about.

And revise the sort of things you do on a risk assesment/tree inspection ... terrain conditions, any overhead/underground services, emergency service details/best access/procedure, what condition is the root plate in, signs of decay/weakness in the tree etc etc.

Best of luck and enjoy it :)

Take your time even on the rescues, your being judged on doing everything correctly not ultra quickly. Same thing when your asked to move around the crown.

Are you familiar with all the rescue methods? Single line rescue, double line, false anchor point etc. Keep talking to your casualty to re-assure them, 'ambulance is on it way', 'keep the pressure on your wound' .... you feel like a right tit saying it but assessors like to see it and it shows you know what to be thinking about.

And revise the sort of things you do on a risk assesment/tree inspection ... terrain conditions, any overhead/underground services, emergency service details/best access/procedure, what condition is the root plate in, signs of decay/weakness in the tree etc etc.

:dito:

Just remember what you have been taught, take your time. Speed will come with experience. Be safe and most of all have fun! :thumbup:

Learn the assesment schedule like the back of your hand, your tutor should give you all the information you need. Emphasise on risk assesment and working at height regs/LOLER basics.

Know your rescue techniques and just enjoy the climbing. Best advice I had was, take your time and remember, you CAN climb.

Passed mine last week and it was really enjoyable, but I get myself worked up about assesments which doesn't help me on the day lol.

Best of luck.

Chris.

• 7 months later...

Will...have you even done CS38 yet?:001_tt2:

In all Assessments remember , time is mostly on your side , except where their is a rescue , but even then Do it safely and methodically , don’t rush as this leads to make mistakes, ensure what you do is what you where shown,,

in real life rescues things don't go to a training schedule you WILL be making it up as the situation dictates

if it helps talk yourself through it ,,, explain your actions outloud to the assessor , at least then if you slip or mis something the assessor knows you are doing things in a pragmatic way

No extra prizes if you rush

no one to blame if you rush and screw up ,

take your time the assessor will be patient

they are there to assess competence not commercial speed ,

units are modules designed to get you going assessments and cert of Competence are there as your proof to the world you have met these standards

but good luck and don’t be scared !!! assessors all started out from where you are , trust me I am one , and we weren’t all born perfect lol

we all went through a learning process .

One of the best techniques is to become the assessors instructor ,, tell him the what where why when's and then do em !

Edited by Yorkshireman