eBay con?

mikecotterill

We got caught (once was enough) with the paypal small print - you have to use a tracked delivery service. It is a very very simple scam and whilst paypal understand fully how you have been ripped off they will do nothing at all and take your money and refund it to the buyer. Shrewd 'buyers' presently have a licence to buy at will (the wrong delivery methods are still options on the ebay listing) and, if the goods are delivered in the 'wrong' manner can claim their money back through Paypal.

I would also add that the scammer is fully able to email you to take the p155 as, in the court of Paypal, emails are not accepted as evidence.

Only £45 pounds down but extremely frustrating and... you can't claim anything back from the Post Office as they have done what they were paid to do.

Did they tale this money out of a p pal ac?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mike, how about you call the freight forwarder so you know who you're speaking to, and confirm if they are expecting the vehicle? Looks like it's Alymed Freight Alymed - Freight Forwarders in Northampton NN5 5JR - 192.com

Yeah I will cheers a quick google for alymed came up with nothing except for the 192 website, seems a little odd to me they have no website etc,

The lowest bidder is a guy from Blackpool, he offered me 800 quid for it during the auction but I let it run.

Maybe I am being too cautious

Well I emailed him today apologised and said I wasn't happy with the deal and offered a full refund, then I opened a case to cancel the purchase through eBay. He's rejected it and sent the following

Hi, i am disapointed with your manners and i have already contacted ebay to make you an official complaint, also you tried to make me pay you outside paypal regulations note that i also have your emails saved to prove it to ebay about your behaviour

The deal stands and i will notify you with instructions from my shipper

Joe

- brimbo-joe

so I replied back and said he hadn't complied with the listing as he wasn't collecting in person.

Quite what he thinks is going to happen now I'm not sure! Is he expecting me to say ok and still sell it him? Sounds like he may of been genuine though. Either way he's not getting it.

If I was a genuine buyer and someone did that to me I would be livid!

Agreed.

You are both in a contract with eBay to sell or buy the item. Collection in person is a small matter that eBay will not be interested in, he has arranged a courier, and paid for one to collect the time from you.

If eBay see that you are in the wrong they will suspend your account and it won't be easy to set up a new one.

Seems this could come back to bite you hard. I think you may have jumped the gun quickly, he paid you in a way that is suitable through PayPal, you not liking this is irrelivent as its a form of payment widely used not only on eBay but plenty of other places.

IMO you are in the wrong this time and if I was the buyer I would be doing exactly the same thing, as I have had to do in the past when buying.

Oh did anyone actually know there is a way to get the sellers or buyers personal info, like address real name and telephone number, on eBay. It is legal and you can get it.

People always complain about dodgy buyers, but it cuts both ways.

Bit like "rouge traders" what about all the rouge customers???:sneaky2:

He is having it "collected in person" by his "representative"

Personally I think your out of line.

People always complain about dodgy buyers, but it cuts both ways.

Bit like "rouge traders" what about all the rouge customers???:sneaky2:

He is having it "collected in person" by his "representative"

Personally I think your out of line.

I don't agree, collection in person is exactly that, what he is doing is having a "courier" pick it up.

Oh did anyone actually know there is a way to get the sellers or buyers personal info, like address real name and telephone number, on eBay. It is legal and you can get it.

Let us in on the secret then, the buyers details come up on the confirmation email, I presume there's another way?

Ebay has become so complicated you need a list of terms and conditions which then puts off genuine buyers. If his rep is coming to collect he can pay cash. Paypal is not only expensive its not regulated by the fsa so if it goes wrong you are stuffed. I would not put a vehicle on ebay now unless it is a classified listing then you have control over who buys and a list of potential buyers if the first one goes sour. Ebay does not represent a cross section of society so it pays to be very cautious.