Forestry buildings in woodland

I use industrial pallet racking to form the shell of the building then just clad with tin sheets. Just put rawl plug bolts direct into a concrete slab and everything else just slots together. Frame goes up in a matter of hours and tall enough to have a mezzanine floor in which I store my hay bales on out of the way of vermin.

That sounds like an ingenious building design - any chance of a Photo or 2?

• 2 weeks later...

Agricultural smallholdings are limited to the buildings allowed. Woodlands, whether large or small, have no theoretical limit to the size of the building erected.

Forestry buildings are felt to service a larger working area than the ground they stand in- you may have a building in a 6 or 10 acre wood, but you may actually be working the woods of half a county.

http://smallwoods.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/planning.pdf

Agricultural smallholdings are limited to the buildings allowed. Woodlands, whether large or small, have no theoretical limit to the size of the building erected.

Forestry buildings are felt to service a larger working area than the ground they stand in- you may have a building in a 6 or 10 acre wood, but you may actually be working the woods of half a county.

http://smallwoods.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/planning.pdf

Interesting. I was led to believe that importing timber into a woodland would classify it as light industrial and would need change of use. Most kinds of on site conversion would need this designation. So you could buy 6 acres of woodland, put up a huge barn and use it for a yard for bringing in timber from all over without needing any change of use? Seems unlikely, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Interesting. I was led to believe that importing timber into a woodland would classify it as light industrial and would need change of use. Most kinds of on site conversion would need this designation. So you could buy 6 acres of woodland, put up a huge barn and use it for a yard for bringing in timber from all over without needing any change of use? Seems unlikely, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

It needn't be in wooded land I think. You can have a forestry building in a field.

In theory you'd be right- I'll wait till someone drags it to the High Court so we get a proper definition of what is acceptable :001_huh:

• 3 months later...

I had a 20 foot container in mine which worked well until somebody stole it!

If anyone sees a green/turquoise container with China Shipping written on it - it's mine.

Can't leave anything in our woodland. Cut up a couple of chords of birch a couple of years ago - left it stacked in the woodland to dry about 40 yards from road, within two weeks - gone. Hope you have better luck than me.

Still, people do leave me rubbish in return.

Great fun, this owning woodland lark. Apologies for the rant - just a bit jealous that you even think about leaving tools/kit in an open shelter!