Warning 7.5T Drivers

grumpydavesmith

Hi all

one of our drivers was stopped yesterday by the police and his licence checked. he was driving a 7.5t with timberwolf 190 chipper on the back. He has c1e on his licence through grandfather rights i.e he passed his test before 1997. he was informed by the police that he wasnt legal to tow the chipper as he was over 8250kg. All c1e licences earned through grandfather rights carry the restriction code 107 on the licence. in simple terms this means the maximum authorised mass he can drive is 8250kg. the truck weighed 7.4t and chipper 1t so he was over. luckily the police let him off but they impounded the vehicle and charged £400 to release it plus they are gonna do the company.

Im guessing there are alot of people out there driving illegally that have just not checked there licence. just to clarify before the questions start the maximum authorised mass is 8250kg including chipper. this is not what the vehicle weighs but what it would weigh if fully loaded.

its amazing how nobody in the company realised this alll our drivers cant drive now its gonna be an absolute nightmare. luckily i have c+e so im ok. apparently dorset police are having a big crackdown on it.

Easiest way around this is to downplate your lorry by 250kg to 7250, so your mam is then 8250.

Just a bit of paperwork and a sticker to change under the bonnet last time I did this.

That reminds me, must get round to doing my current lorry..:blushing:

Another set of goalposts moved and we everyone is supposed to know. Other such things would have a legal obligation to notify all concerned in writing.

How is the average working man supposed to know? Work by day, google traffic law by night! You might as well be a solicitor/lawyer specializing in traffic law instead.

Good of you to post, should of been done by those concerned!!!!!

This has been around for 15 years now, and all the info is there. It's up to the driver to know what they can and can't drive.

Having said that, there was a little bit of naughtiness from the powers that be. The old paper licence didn't have the restricting code on, that was only added when and if you changed to a photo card licence.

I still have my paper license, it's held together by sticky tape but I'm buggered if I'm paying to get a photo card one!

Bless them, the courts have had to start using abbreviations when they add points to it now....

Strangely they don't worry about the address being wrong either.... Which is good, since I can't get a new license anyway because I don't currently have a passport.... I'm off grid!!!

Off the grid, dream location, I went to an army barracks the other day with no id. Told to sit in a chair in less than 2 minutes I had a photocard id with my mugshot on it. I didn't like the thought I was tagged so quickly.

Off the grid, dream location, I went to an army barracks the other day with no id. Told to sit in a chair in less than 2 minutes I had a photocard id with my mugshot on it. I didn't like the thought I was tagged so quickly.

In that case I can't talk to you anymore, you might compromise my deep cover... consider yourself burned! :lol: