dead hands and arms

vduben

I've got the exact same thing, but I also had a bad back a while ago. A chiropracter has said the arm is related to the back and could be a trapped nerve from climbing. I've only been using saws for 2years and as I work on power lines, I use poles and silkys more than I do a saw. My symptoms came on instantly which is why they think it's a nerve or back related problem. As I write this thread my fingers are tingling.

Saying that I'm not taking any chances and I've just got a new 357XPG (heated handles) to keep my mits warm.

Go see a chiropracter, they don't just deal in bad backs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long have you been operating chainsaws, vduben? We get annual hearing and HAVS checks in work and not even the 'old timers' from the forestry days have whitefinger. I think you've got to be using chainsaws flat out for 8 hours a day non-stop for proper HAVS to develop. As arborists we break up the day by climbing, moving about the tree and carrying out other work other than chainsaw work which leaves the nerves with time to rest

it all depends on saws you use but also some people are more suseptible than others when we first tested our saws we had to get rid of some an old 2100 could only be used for 2 mins before damage could occure

and a brand new 357 with a badly sharpened chain can only be used for 20mins so where you got your 8 hours flat out from must be cuckoo land

I've got the exact same thing, but I also had a bad back a while ago. A chiropracter has said the arm is related to the back and could be a trapped nerve from climbing. I've only been using saws for 2years and as I work on power lines, I use poles and silkys more than I do a saw. My symptoms came on instantly which is why they think it's a nerve or back related problem. As I write this thread my fingers are tingling.

Saying that I'm not taking any chances and I've just got a new 357XPG (heated handles) to keep my mits warm.

Go see a chiropracter, they don't just deal in bad backs.

ive been using chainsaws for about 5 years now, but like you will it came on sudden so maby it is a trapped nerve, its eased off a little today but still get tingling hands!

vduben

I can tell u from experience that it is almost certainly not your lower back but my semi educated guess is that it could well be a problem with the shoulder/neck area of your spine - getting a load of hammer with climbing.

Not trying to scare u bit get it properly diagnosed. I went to a chiropractor at your age with a bad back. Three ops and 20 years later and I’m just starting to get back to normal. By the time I went through an MRI scan the damage had been done and it was too late. As my surgeon said “no chiropractor has, to my knowledge, developed MRI vision!”

Hope it all works out OK, take it easy and climb with your body in mind – not speed!

my arms and hands wake up dead as fu9k all the time i just put it on spazzy sleeping position.........but then the tingling in my arms and elbows wich i have now and what feels like spial biffada could be some thing to do with it !.....oh well the joys of doing physical work out side.

We get regular HAV tests at work ,i also get fizzy/dead hands my last tester said it was down to gripping to tightly which is probably why i get arm pump like a mofo when riding mx..:cheers:

ditto, when i used to do mx i would ahve to come in after 4 laps and have a rest, but eventually it went by the end of the day.

had an appointment with the docs today but was still working 50 les away when i needed to be there!!!