nasty surprise when milling

davetaz

Elm from Edinburgh is typically riddled with metal. Had a nice 30 inch log the other day where I hit 8 nails and went through the head of a screw. Somehow, the band was still cutting reasonably too!

ooohhh yes!!! especially in the meadows all the posters etc people have stuck to them over the years! get quite allot in cherries too think people have been trying to kill them off

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often do you hit metal work when milling?

Caught this the other day

Barbed wire embedded in Ash

Removed a holly a while back ( bad luck I know ) It had been pollarded so many times over the years that it was almost 4ft thick in the trunk but only about 15 foot high with a bush on the top . Whilst riinging it up I hit whot must have been a Victorian nail ! right in the heart wood about 2 inches off center .

I was cutting beech in a local forest here in Normandy, and found loads of shrapnell and bullets in the timber, it was the site of a large armoured battle, and hidden ammo dump for the atlantic wall. Its odd seeing the old craters with post 1944 trees in them and everything around them 200 years plus.

Anyway, blame farmers they like putting nails and wire on everything!

Been quite lucky with not hitting metal generally but was on a job last year where we were milling some Oak we'd felled in a council park and hit a nail with a brand new band on the first cut. Cut it out with chainsaw and put a fresh band on swapped logs and did exactly the same again :blushing:

Our first milling ever the chain went blunt as hell - thought it was something we did wrong, I even telephoned Rob! Week later we found the problem - a stone in the middle of the piece of Sycamore we had cut!!