Strimmers

rcarolina

We've just had all our kit tested for vibration and our old FS90 has been given a slating. We can only use it for as long as it takes to take it out of the store and start it up - the vibes are pretty bad. Think a few of my fillings have worked loose.:biggrin:

On a serious note, we need to replace it as soon as poss - any recommnendations (Stihl prefrred) for a grass only heavy ish duty strimmer. We have the big FS400 brushcutters but we use the FS90 for creating long grass areas beneath specimen trees and general mowing. It's got to be relatively low vibes and big enough to cope but light enough to be managable for that fine detail we all strive for.

Another FS90 - straight swap?

There is not one make that is much better than the others for vibration. Each manufacturer has some bad machines and some good machines in its range. If Low Vibe is your priority buying decision then download the vibration charts (google 'stihl vibration' etc).

Compare the figures for your chosen engine size. Some brands have both 'std' and 'low vibe' models for the same 'cc'. Ensure you compare with the same cutting method, i.e nylon, or metal blade. Metal blades run smoother than nylon.

Generally the larger machines run smoother than the small machines, so you may need to aim larger than the FS90.

u have a fs400? and you need a second machine? hmmm... fs360? or fs130?

i have an fs85 and it copes well.. at work we have an fs 410 witch i relly like as it has some loverly features. we also have an fs 480 witch it the machine i pick up everytime.. its a beast

I Know you are a Stihl man . I do have 45cc and a 55cc Huscvarna . Both powerful ( can use 4mm dia line ) . Have found them both to be good vibe wise . Never noticed anything after using them . RX545 and RX455 - something like that Any way they are good me thinks .

I have a fs200, nice and powerful on most jobs. Fs85 is a great tool, light and reliable.

I purchased a Honda 4 stroke about 6 years ago and wow, its a piece of junk!

The vibe levels are rediculous, the dealer what talked me into buying it over a fs85 said it was just my inexperience with the machine. When i phoned later that week to ask about a trade in, his boss said " not really interested in a trade, vibe is awfull on those, thats why we stopped selling them" when i explained the situation he was shamed into a trade.

Get the 85, they last forever!

I have a fs200, nice and powerful on most jobs. Fs85 is a great tool, light and reliable.

I purchased a Honda 4 stroke about 6 years ago and wow, its a piece of junk!

The vibe levels are rediculous, the dealer what talked me into buying it over a fs85 said it was just my inexperience with the machine. When i phoned later that week to ask about a trade in, his boss said " not really interested in a trade, vibe is awfull on those, thats why we stopped selling them" when i explained the situation he was shamed into a trade.

Get the 85, they last forever!

they dont sell the 85 anymore.. its been replace with the fs90..

if it low vibes you want, the stihl models from fs360+ are all low vibe machines with bags of power