Have I bitten off more than I can Chew

wren100

I was main climber from day 1 with no experience. There's the harness, rope and spikes!If you want the job then get up the tree. :001_rolleyes:

6 months later I started myself and never looked back.

If you are terrified most of the time, knackered and sore then everything is going just peachy:thumbup:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was main climber from day 1 with no experience. There's the harness, rope and spikes!If you want the job then get up the tree. :001_rolleyes:

6 months later I started myself and never looked back.

If you are terrified most of the time, knackered and sore then everything is going just peachy:thumbup:

:thumbup1:

All i can say is accept the responsibility ... BUT .. never be afraid to say this is too much or this is above my skill set, or we dont have the right gear here at this moment , or the wheather is to adversw, work on quality , competence first . Speed will just fall into place after . Just dont be afraid to be afraid. ( the worst problem i can see here is there isnt another for you to learn see and appreciate techniques in use for different situiations/ problems u might encounter. Remember "a man must walk to run to fly ,, he cannot fly to fly " Niche... and may i wish u the best of luck working with one of the greatist things on earth.

If you can mate, step up to it!

I started as a lead climber (read: only climber) with only 6-8 months experience. It was a very quick learning curve, i had to just get on with it. Quite a few buttock clenches later and i settled in fine. My boss would get an experienced subby in once or twice a month if it was a really big/tricky dismantle, then the more i learned, the less he had to be called in.

Good luck

After reading all the posts I have a feeling ,it's highley lightly they are paying him as a second climber or grondys wage to save money and they are hoping that he will just get on with it .

I've seen it both ways happen in the past well good climbers on really poor wages .

I have also seen new climbers coming on with a company and giving it all the talk and then they get pushed up the biggist tree going and then land in trouble .

I know for myself you have to be very very clear from the start with the boss about exactly what y can and cannot do .

If you have been completely straight with your new boss from the beginning then you need to take him aside in the morning before you leave the yard and have it out and get it sorted .

I wish you all the best

Littletree:001_smile:

This is a no brainer.

Stubby is right, and Andy I disagree... although I started the way you say.. I did nearly get killed more than once. :001_smile:

Talk to your boss and get back into your comfort zone el pronto young man:thumbup1:

Dont we all? im 16 an had a few near deaths :blushing: nothing to phone home about never been to a&e for anything more than a few stitches which is lucky the way a&e is here:thumbdown: