Branch walking

English-arb

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done that to, sat on the branch and 'humped' my way along to where I'm cutting, then humped my way back. Quite exiting if you take a reasonable size piece of when your suddenly lifted upward. Still reckon I'm making more work for my self by cutting and chucking than lowering stuff off. Need to get some time in with a decent climber me thinks.

Branch Walking is really the wrong name for it , i was shown ways that rarley included walking out on the branch, yes bigger stuff is ok but when your getting towards the tips then 2nd ancor and wiggle, slide, sit, shuffle.

if you get to a point and the arse is gripping to much turn and face your ancor point and move out backwards then if you do slip you will see what is coming!!!

Every branch dictates the method best used to get to the end. Sometimes just having fun and running along it as if to do a great big swing to another branch works just fine. Dropping down from well above with the clutch fully depressed a doing a big kick off works too. I guess you've got to enjoy that sort of thing to get more confident at it. The sloth thing at speed works well too. Momentum is your friend. balance can be gained from simply balancing on everything you see. Avoid sycamore in the rain.

Use the force! Trust your ropes and harness!

Starting a saw can be a pain in the arse. I worried about this too before I did my NPTC assessment but the instructor said that, as long as you don't do anything that is seen as careless or dangerous, you're OK. Make sure the saw's warmed before you try and startit in the tree - it makes life a lot easier.

If you can stand in a stable position, hold the rear handle between your legs, as taught. Otherwise, I found that jamming the saw rear handle into the crease between your thigh and stomach, with the bar facing out to your side works. Use the left hand on the top handle to steady the saw whilst you pull the cord with your right.

Alternatively, just do a massive yo-yo when no-one's looking.

ever thought about practising on the ground? I.e when you have a load of wood at the base of the tree, make a "fake" branch out of iton the deck then with your anchor in the tree come down and practise walking out and back in towards the tree?? just an idea