Do you put your wood in bags or in a pile?

ash_smith123

Hi,

I was just wondering what you do when processing your firewood?

We split into a M3 vented bag and put it on a pallet outside covered.

I have heard that alot of people just pile the wood up in a shed/under cover but every time we have tried that it just seems to go moldy very quickly. we have tried inside, outside no covered and outside covered.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Billets!

Havent started yet but i'm sure they're the answer to this predicament.

As you know, i had the same problems last year with storage and moving crates etc. But with billets, its less chainsaw cutting, and less repetitive splitting... And you can simply stack them up as big as you like and cover the top with a tarp/ corrugated roofing sheet.

When it comes time to deliver them, Im going to get a pto circular saw and conveyor and process them straight into the truck at whatever length the customer wants. Or, once the billets are dry, stock pile a load of (non-vented) cheap bulk bags for the next weeks deliveries.

Have also considered putting the billets into bundles and strapping them with pallet straps, then 4/5 cuts with the 660 and 36" bar and 'bobs ya uncle!'. Probably be messy and youve still got to handball them into the truck though.

I'll keep you updated with how it goes this winter.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best wood i ever had were from splitting into Billets and stacking them in a wall to dry and then cutting with a circular saw, the only thing i didnt like was how many times i handled those things!!

Making a massive pile of green wood caused seasoning issues as would be expected and then again the handling of the wood back into a vehicle etc.

I am going to go down the route of vented bags and loading and stacking with the skid steer as an option. I really think vented bags in a polly tunnel is the way forward!

The best wood i ever had were from splitting into Billets and stacking them in a wall to dry and then cutting with a circular saw, the only thing i didnt like was how many times i handled those things!!

Making a massive pile of green wood caused seasoning issues as would be expected and then again the handling of the wood back into a vehicle etc.

I am going to go down the route of vented bags and loading and stacking with the skid steer as an option. I really think vented bags in a polly tunnel is the way forward!

We use vented bags in the open. I have ibc tank frames in the poly tunnel. It all works well down south as long as we have a reasonable summer. I tried doing billets years ago it produces the best logs but time consuming and you need the right species of wood to get uniform billets we used beech and I found it often cut in to wedge shapes and if you try processing when dry can smash into trash on a processor.

Billets are the best but you need to have plenty of time on you hands. Im just leaving all our ash in 10' lengths for as long as poss and then processing them straight into a bag. Our Dalen takes 20" pieces so we can get through it well.

We use vented bags in the open.

is that without a covering sheet ?.

Have you tried vented bags in a poly tunnel, if so how did it go?.

A

I have never used a cover sheet. I tend to use big pallets which ensures a bit of airflow. I think the mould problem is more when you process green timber in autumn. I have not put one in the tunnel as I would imagine the uvs would kill my nice bags in a season. We are not doing alot of logs this year, around our way if you have a mild winter you cant give it away. Hard winter you will never have enough you cant really run a business like that so we have concentrated efforts in other areas we have been busy with kindling lately :thumbup1:

597660e90b91d_logs121(600x400).jpg.ab660904d6f88e4b4ccbfe2d1d8e0f89.jpg

597660e90969d_logs123(600x400).jpg.7d8364a3fab8cfbfcce73b09e9401f42.jpg

597660e9067c4_logs124(600x400).jpg.7e2055d90886e322a0505ebbc7a2d200.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about getting vented bags, would save me a bit of handling and I can only store so much in my shed so these could be outside with a tarp just on the top. Where do you get yours from? I'm guessing they would weigh less than a big bale even if full of green oak?

I'm seriously thinking about getting vented bags, would save me a bit of handling and I can only store so much in my shed so these could be outside with a tarp just on the top. Where do you get yours from? I'm guessing they would weigh less than a big bale even if full of green oak?

Theyre about 5.00 a bag though arn't they? :0