Big leaning Ash.

pault

[ame=http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wFXRgYSR1k&sns=em]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wFXRgYSR1k&sns=em[/ame]

Watch for the back root plate ripping out with a dog tooth.. Just be aware , I could hear it cracking and wanting to pull out before when I was ready for the back cut so just kept cutting.. And was aware what could happen!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would it make any difference whether the plate is lifting or not? the straps will still stop the stem from splitting up assuming the the plate holds steady when the tree starts to go over

If you are relying on ratchet straps then you are not doing it right, it's not split so not needed.

Remember if the plate is up it will sit back at the point where it would usually start to go, get in a good position if you have left a big hinge the stem can get pulled back.

The secret is a super sharp powerful saw.

Good luck

Edited by Stephen Blair

If you are relying on ratchet straps then you are not doing it right, it's not split so not needed.

Remember if the plate is up it will sit back at the point where it would usually start to go, get in a good position if you have left a big hinge the stem can get pulled back.

The secret is a super sharp powerful saw.

Good luck

Better be safe than sorry use a strap every time?

A large ash at 40 degrees is one hell of an angle On such wood that almost indefinitely will barbers chair !! I would love to try a v shape step cut ... Ratchet straps.. What side is going to barbers chair the top or bottom, if I was going that route you would have to do both! !! I once had a big ash barbers chair through its root plate, pretty scary when you feel the ground move and it flings up what your standing on.

Better be safe than sorry use a strap every time?

I don't agree, learn to do the job right imo, in tree work you can't carry every single tool or gadget, especially if climbing is involved.

I have never used a ratchet strap, only Barbour chaired a tree once and that was my first month, never done it since.

The angle makes no difference especially if it's up on the plate , the methods the same,its knowing when to remove the saw in the horizontal cut to the rear, make as small a hinge as possible and go as far back as you dare, that way on the angle back cut, it's like cutting an elastic band. Just stand to the side:001_smile:

The angle makes no difference especially if it's up on the plate , the methods the same,its knowing when to remove the saw in the horizontal cut to the rear, make as small a hinge as possible and go as far back as you dare, that way on the angle back cut, it's like cutting an elastic band. Just stand to the side:001_smile:

I agree but Not one barbers chair Stevie??? You can't be felling much ash mate! That's all that grows here, To be honest the 3-4 times I have had it have always been at the end of the day and not gunning it fast enough through the cut or being to knackered to make the effort to dogs tooth ... Just that feeling of get one more then another marked tree down at the end of the day is when cock ups happen but as you say just get out the way.. Is any body thinking a step v cut is a really bad idea... Of course if you don't get the saw stuck first!!

I agree but Not one barbers chair Stevie??? You can't be felling much ash mate! That's all that grows here, To be honest the 3-4 times I have had it have always been at the end of the day and not gunning it fast enough through the cut or being to knackered to make the effort to dogs tooth ... Just that feeling of get one more then another marked tree down at the end of the day is when cock ups happen but as you say just get out the way.. Is any body thinking a step v cut is a really bad idea... Of course if you don't get the saw stuck first!!

If its what i think you mean then i think it still has a chance of barber chairing when you put the back cut in before it overlaps the front cut especially as it wont have a gob as the front cut closes itl put more force up the stem then if there had been a gob......err I know what i mean:001_smile:

i would say trust your technique, i had a big poplar a few weeks back, over at about 40 degrees and i got "the fear" a bit. gave myself a talking too and went and did it. got to trust the right cut to do the job,stick a strap round it for a bit of confidence if you need it, stay on your toes and smash it down! :thumbup1: