Climate change- discuss

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First up a video illustrating the real extent of our problems.

James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Video on TED.com

This video is hinting at the local landscape level, harnessing local skills to manage local biomes

David Keith's unusual climate change idea | Video on TED.com

this next talk just illustrates what lengths are being gone too to uncover the systems parts.

Rachel Pike: The science behind a climate headline | Video on TED.com

check out the American coal industries propaganda!

Al Gore warns on latest climate trends | Video on TED.com

This video is a lot longer, but if you still doubt the magnitude of what we have to do...:001_rolleyes:

Al Gore's new thinking on the climate crisis | Video on TED.com

Cary Fowler: One seed at a time, protecting the future of food | Video on TED.com

thats enough to give a well rounded overview, discuss!

I think that in light of what scientists know about real climate change, we are experience next to nothing in historical perspective. What's going on in the last 10 or 100 years is a drop in the bucket compared to the climate changes of past. So in that regard, I would say we have little to worry about right now. Our insignificant level of climate change in a way, would be normal in historical terms: even slow maybe. Historically speaking, to prevent climate change could break the bank for every person in the world, and still not prevent it. The real question then, may be what will it take for people to adapt to the inevitable changes? Will farm land areas shift? Will coastal properties diminish in one area and pop up in another? Should be plant new rainforests in the next century in Spain, or Kentucky in the USA? The head-scratching for most people is probably that they can't tell if we are really causing something we can change or not. Because the changes are small enough to be expected historically speaking.

vanity isn't a sin, according to the list of seven, unless its been updated and i missed it:biggrin:

i too recycle, want to build my own "green" house, live off the land, self sufficiency blah blah blah, but it takes time, i will get there, eventually. and i'll enjoy myself along the way with no regrets, no baaaing and safe in the knowledge that one day my atoms will be part of this crazy world spinning in this crazy chaotic universe:biggrin:

But if it goes too far, life itself indeed may well adapt, but that can take millions of years, the question is how many of us if not all will survive in the duraion of new adaption to a new world, for everything this exists now exists through interconnected evolution, we are part and parcel, oooops no were not, weve come along very late in the game havent we? mmmm maybe its not us that will benifit from change

but maybe the garden will.

But if it goes too far, life itself indeed may well adapt, but that can take millions of years, the question is how many of us if not all will survive in the duraion of new adaption to a new world, for everything this exists now exists through interconnected evolution, we are part and parcel, oooops no were not, weve come along very late in the game havent we? mmmm maybe its not us that will benifit from change

but maybe the garden will.

Anything which benefits my garden is alright by me :thumbup:

And you're right Tony, we're just a bit of a recent skidmark on this lovely planet, if she wipes us all out it will be a great thing for her... I'm beginning to wonder whether these folks who want to save the world simply want to save themselves...? Because afterall, we're the most delicate thing on the planet, we can't survive anymore without artificial heat, light, food..... hell, I know people who can't survive without a mobile phone!!! We'll definitely be the first to go!

Edited by WorcsWuss

do you really want the human race to survive? so we can go ravish another planet when we find one?

what percentage of the 7 billion people on this planet "do their bit"

People are awesome [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0Cazxj_yc]PEOPLE ARE AWESOME - YouTube[/ame], but at the same time, we simply aren't

Pumpy pointed out that atmospheric CO2 rises predate the rise in temperature causing warming. This is the wrong way round if Climate Change Science is to be correct.

If you guys want to hold strong opinions on whether this is happening or not you're gonna have to get up to speed.

I'm not posting the link but I'll point for those of you who can be arsed to back up your strongly held.. for / or against views.

Google... Vostock Ice Cores.... Click on "Climate Myths. Ice Cores Show C02 increases Lag Behind Temp Rises".

Its an article from New Scientist.

If you want your view on this matter to have any meaning whatsoever you are gonna have to do some work.