which arb truck would suit me?? ideas & tips

jnoon

seems like a few of us are looking for same thing here, and as tomc14 says it's tad frustrating when they're all high mileage rust buckets and still got high price.

here's what we need:

4x4

1.2t to 1.5t payload tipper

good turning circle

minimal chassis and bulkhead rust

acceptable mileage (less than 140,000?!)

fuel efficient

single cab with 3 seats

affordable

basic build

doesn't seem to be a vehicle in the UK that fits this bill. 3 1/2 ton landy gets close. pickups too low payload. transit etc 2wd. mog is bit bulky and overkill.

japan has huge range of 4wd tippers over there, only see 2wd variants here.

if it weren't for the mud in the woods and the snow and ice on the busiest log del days, i'd be going for a flat fronted builders tipper from japan. sadly, their yen is very high at the moment so expensive to import a 4x4 right now.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was fortunate to already have an L200 before I set up. To move the chippings/logs and for lots of gear stowage I got myself a transit twin cab tipper. Works a treat but is not 4 x 4 (wish it was). Both vehicles have tow bars and have recently had fitted a 4 ton winch and tow bar to the front of the L200. That means that both vehicles can be utilised to tow the trailer/chipper and I have the option of off road use with the L200. Also have an agricultural plated yamaha 450cc kodiak 2 x 4 x 4 quad which has excellent towing power-just in case. Obviously I am a little bias but for space, sheer towing power,reliability and off roading the L200 would be my choice, (won the Paris/Dakar rally 4 years in a row -best pick up class)As mentioned-it all depends on what type of work you normally do and wether or not you are hauling much stuff away. I must admit that now I have the transit I dont know how I did-getting rid of brush/logs etc. If you can afford it-have both, good luck...Nick, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

Still searching for a tidy chipper, then onto searching for a truck,,

leaning towards l200/ranger atm, need 4wd for shooting & hunting outside of work, !!

best keep looking ........................................:lol:

so if anyone has a tidy chipper they want to move on feel free to PM me !!:thumbup1: