Petrol or Electric log splitter?

aspen

Ok, Im after a log splitter for home use only.

Can anyone advise which to go for, electric or petrol.

I appreciate that electric will be quieter but is that its only advantage?

I have a fiskars axe (awesome) but using it for a day left my arm throbbing (i chipped my elbow bone years ago) so id keep that for occasional splitting.

Cheers

It all depends on the amount of wood to split, I would always go the petrol way and also towable, then you can take the splitter to the wood and not the wood to the splitter!

If you are only doing a tonne or 2 at home then electric will be better for the neighbours as the petrol ones throw out a few dbs

I brought an electric one, a RIKO 9t. it's pretty much silent, but I saw a vid with the petrol version and it was way faster, especially on the return stroke, but as I live in an urban area I needed electric and it is silent bar the lovely sound of splitting wood. Oh and it is really heavy, but you can take in to narrow access gardens.

I bought a little leccy one, 5ton splitter, that I use for my home firewood since the op, but Ill soon be quicker with the axe again, and benefit from a solid workout. Its not a rubbish splitter, more than capable even on some of the tougher bits of seasoned beech I put over it, just i can split faster by hand.

I have a sheppach ox12 which was 3 phase which was superb running off a 17 kva genset. We run it once from a tractor hydraulic too slow. It is now running off a 11hp honda direct drive not enough power. My point is if you have 3 phase power that would be the way to go.

I had a close look at a clark logbuster 6 that a pal of mine has splashed out on.

Its a vertical electric 3000w and 5 or 6 ton from memory,it was quick as you can set the stroke of the ram and it cracked through everything he put on its table in no time.

He uses it on wet days in his big shed.

i dont have 3 phase power unfortunately.

i like the look of the 5 ton electric from riko, £650 anyone got one of these?

also heard theres an arbtalk discount with them, anyone any idea what sort of discount you get?