How far have you ran/cycled/swam today?

Well it was very hot!!!! Completed my first Olympic distance triathlon on the hottest day of the year on a course with zero shade and at the hottest time of the day!!

I completed in 2hrs 44minutes so the Brownlees have nothing to worry about! But everyone had slow times, the run was brutal with many people dropping out due to heat exhaustion.

In my age group (40-44) I came 11th out of the 41 that finished and that was 49th out of the 199 that finished altogether, so that 24% in both, which is quite good I think!

On top of the 199 finishers there were 33 that didnt either due to DQ or dropping out, thats the highest number of DNF I have seen. Even the good runners with PB's of around 40 minutes for 10K were taking over an hour for the 10k run, simply due to having to walk the first lap because of heat. There were lots of water stations and a lad with a hose pipe half way round and so those that made it that far then managed to run the rest but many gave up before that point.

I somehow managed to trot round the first 5k and then picked up for the second half and did the run 58minutes, which would be embarrassing on any other day but it helped me finsh higher than some who would normally beat me.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upton on severn.

Yes, lots of people carry co 2 with a tube and maybe levers (defending on how deep your rims are) all bundled together and taped onto seat tube.

Ahh cos i had a nightmare. Couldn't get tyre to seat right but with that it would force it.

Also thinking for jogle next year. Need the two bottle holders. At the moment one is taken with pump.

You should be able to get a pump holder that mounts to the side of the bottle holder so you still can use the bottle holder?

Or go for co 2 and ditch the pump.

Proper roadies carry pumps etc in Jersey pockets. Nothing is allowed to ruin the look of the bike! I think that's a bit extreme, I have a pump infringe bottle holder and a small pouch under the saddle with tube, levers and multi tool.

Yeah i have a small pouch so thinking hide the pump away. Get a triangle pouch and an under seat one that i have puncture repair kit in. Co2 will fit in that.

Haven't got cleats but after last few rides finding toes get painful after 30 miles thinking i ought to. Do they eliminate that