Large Fir tree dismantle using a speedline

danholls

Cool vid buddy! How do you self advance your prussic? I couldn't quite work it out from the vid

It took me a while to think up but is very simple once you see it. I came up with it because I'm not a fan of have a distil/v.t & pulley set up, I like to pull with both arms from above and not have to hold my weight while I feed through the slack and love the prussik but also the pulley idea, so this is best of both worlds.

Check this video, I explain it and show how to set it up.

Cheers for your comments guys

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice video but....

Surely a pair of spikes, a wire strop and cut and chuck would have this done in a day?

In my opinion the zip line hindered progress (but maybe you just wanted to try one out?)

Anyway, thank you for sharing a quality video. Keep them coming.

Thanks for watching,

We couldn't just fell the tree as it was an expensive complex we were working within and it was communal lawn which was well kept, so it was priced to be dismantled for very minimal damage to vegetation and property which is what the clients wanted.

Otherwise i'd have been all over felling the beast!! Thanks

I know I suggested stunt fell, but in actual fact I often sell jobs like that as rigging jobs to garantee protection and safety. SO if the client accepts my quote then the trees get rigged, they can choose a cheaper quote for fellign if they want, but I woudl never quote for rigging and then just turn up and fell something.

Doing what you have said you will do for the client is most important.

Great video there Dan. Also damn good website ... few different techniques and a lot of videos that could be quite useful. Just one question about the prussik system, is the only option the tibloc or was/is there anything else that would do a similar job? Tibloc is a tad fierce especially as I tend to keep a pantin off my system due to wear.

There are loads of ways of doing the same thing, anything that will grip the rope will do.

Use wahtever you have to hand, a pantin would work. Or a small prussik loop of accessory cord will do, its not PPE. Or a marlin spike knot ties above the spliced end of rope will do.

Or a ropeman, or ropegrab, or hand ascender, or basic ascender, or croll, anything will do.

Any of these mechanical devices need to be fitted upside down, like the tibloc so they wont run up the rope away from you.

A pantin is a lot less damaging to the rope than a tibloc, which is probably the worst thing for a rope, and really not designed for arb use.

Dan,

the main problem with using a tibloc in that scenario is a sudden drop from a branch during ascent, the prussik could force the tibloc down, potentially stripping the climbing line.

I looked into incorporating the tibloc into treework when Petzl introduced them but after a few weeks of experimenting with various ideas (rescue system etc) ruled it out as the the teeth are just too sharp. It was after all designed as a last resort rescue aid for climbing on frozen ropes etc

The same prussik advancing result can be achieved using a small piece of cord made into a prussik which is then attached where the tibloc was. If your using a Blakes you can use the tail to create another blakes on the other side of the line, same result. There are a huge number of variations of this technique.

It took me a while to think up but is very simple once you see it. I came up with it because I'm not a fan of have a distil/v.t & pulley set up, I like to pull with both arms from above and not have to hold my weight while I feed through the slack and love the prussik but also the pulley idea, so this is best of both worlds.

Check this video, I explain it and show how to set it up.

Cheers for your comments guys

Have you tried the o rig Dan? It's the same concept but you can use distel vt just slide your hitch up the rope to body thrust then slide it back down for normal use.

Dan,

the main problem with using a tibloc in that scenario is a sudden drop from a branch during ascent, the prussik could force the tibloc down, potentially stripping the climbing line.

I looked into incorporating the tibloc into treework when Petzl introduced them but after a few weeks of experimenting with various ideas (rescue system etc) ruled it out as the the teeth are just too sharp. It was after all designed as a last resort rescue aid for climbing on frozen ropes etc

The same prussik advancing result can be achieved using a small piece of cord made into a prussik which is then attached where the tibloc was. If your using a Blakes you can use the tail to create another blakes on the other side of the line, same result. There are a huge number of variations of this technique.

Can the Tibloc be shock loaded in Dans setup?