Reliability Stihl Ms261 Husky 346xp NE

Kay 9

ive got a 261 its fine! nothing atall gone wrong!......year warranty if you buy it from anywhere decent?! depends what you will be using it for really doesnt it budddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I've got a rover 75 and it's been awesome! Doesn't mean they're a good car overall though, does it?

There have been many many (insert many more many's) people with issues with their 261, and dealer response has been quite poor overall as mr Stihl denied there was an issue at all for quite a while.

I run a 346 and a 550 side by side and the 550 is miles better. More nimble, more powerful and faster, Much faster.

I had a few big (45-50") ash to fell and don't own any bigger saws. I threw caution to the wind and put a 20" bar on the 550, it coped admirably. Then when ringing up, the 550 (still on 20) was still way faster than the 346 on 15".

The only downside I've found is that the noise of the 550 hurts my ears more when unprotected. My monkey however finds the 346 worse, noise-wise. Might be a matter of age (of user, I use an old monkey) or just preference I suppose.

The 346 is a safe bet, the 550 is way better but of unknown longevity. Having said that, I've not heard of a single issue with a 550.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar dilemma and went for the new 545 - a detuned 550xp. Same torque, less top end and slower chain speed but still auto tune. It cuts very well indeed, not giving away all that much to a 357xp, and will hopefully be less stressed and more reliable over time.

A bit like having a diesel Golf instead of the GTi...

HI GUYS

i have a 2004 346xp that apart from general cleaning a spark plug a year and general chain and bar changing as had nothing ever done to it in all that time some times it wont get used for 2 or 3 months put fresh mix in it 2 to 3 pulls and shes away a very reliable old saw you know what they say the complicated the plumbing the easier it is to stop? up the drain ? so do you go for newer but cant fix yourself or older self fixable

this is just my thought on it

thanks albert

if at first you dont succeed sod it and put the kettle on

I have used a 560 briefly on the "Boys day out", the auto tune is impressive in its power delivery, it gives the delivery in the midrange of a ported saw, slightly less top on WOT revs but there is a real difference in how they work to the earlier generation saws.

The bad news is that if the saw plays up, you are much more unlikely to resolve the problem yourself or through guys like myself. It will be back to the dealer at dealer rates unless it is in waranty and that cost may get steep if it goes wrong in a big way.

So the choice it whether you use latest technology without long term 3-5 years experience or go for older technology and not have quite the same wallop as the latest saws but a tune can be done by ear or with a £0.50p screwdriver and £70 tach!

Currently I am comparing my 357XP and 346XP against a 560XP, the 357 was around 0.3 secs slower on a 7 second run but had a 17" bar copmpared to the 15" on the 560XP - my saws are woods tuned so a working saw tune up - same as Stubbys 346XP.

The 346XP is a damn good saw, uses many parts that are used on other saws and is easy to work on!

That 357 is impressive. .3 on a bigger bar:001_cool:

ive got a 261 its fine! nothing atall gone wrong!......year warranty if you buy it from anywhere decent?! depends what you will be using it for really doesnt it budddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

More than likely firewood and forestry work

I've got a rover 75 and it's been awesome! Doesn't mean they're a good car overall though, does it?

There have been many many (insert many more many's) people with issues with their 261, and dealer response has been quite poor overall as mr Stihl denied there was an issue at all for quite a while.

I run a 346 and a 550 side by side and the 550 is miles better. More nimble, more powerful and faster, Much faster.

I had a few big (45-50") ash to fell and don't own any bigger saws. I threw caution to the wind and put a 20" bar on the 550, it coped admirably. Then when ringing up, the 550 (still on 20) was still way faster than the 346 on 15".

The only downside I've found is that the noise of the 550 hurts my ears more when unprotected. My monkey however finds the 346 worse, noise-wise. Might be a matter of age (of user, I use an old monkey) or just preference I suppose.

The 346 is a safe bet, the 550 is way better but of unknown longevity. Having said that, I've not heard of a single issue with a 550.

I have rover 25 derv running 150bhp and its a serious machine:D

I had a similar dilemma and went for the new 545 - a detuned 550xp. Same torque, less top end and slower chain speed but still auto tune. It cuts very well indeed, not giving away all that much to a 357xp, and will hopefully be less stressed and more reliable over time.

A bit like having a diesel Golf instead of the GTi...

I thought the pro series saws had upgraded cylinders and pistons?:confused1:

HI GUYS

i have a 2004 346xp that apart from general cleaning a spark plug a year and general chain and bar changing as had nothing ever done to it in all that time some times it wont get used for 2 or 3 months put fresh mix in it 2 to 3 pulls and shes away a very reliable old saw you know what they say the complicated the plumbing the easier it is to stop? up the drain ? so do you go for newer but cant fix yourself or older self fixable

this is just my thought on it

thanks albert

I like to fix myself also. hate the thought of main dealer charges, whether it be for a car or saw.

if at first you dont succeed sod it and put the kettle on

weve got 2 261s they are crap, nothing but problems been in wgm more than weve used them clutches, carb, chainbrake etc

Held a 261 today and thought it was much bulkier than the 346. Didn't feel the weight difference though tbh.

we just got a 550xp brilliant saw when its eventually runs ,not that great at starting,cuts out if you leave it idling like when you are feeding the chipper,sometimes cuts out when you have it running and go to pick it up, a pain in the ar*e to start after you run it out of petrol

Forgot to mention in there also that I held a 560 today too and I hardly felt the weight difference at all tbh. Now that would defo have me covered. But I have no need in anything longer than the occasional 20" bar and the 550 or 346 is more than able for that.

we just got a 550xp brilliant saw when its eventually runs ,not that great at starting,cuts out if you leave it idling like when you are feeding the chipper,sometimes cuts out when you have it running and go to pick it up, a pain in the ar*e to start after you run it out of petrol

Now that is one thing that does my head in. Go to grab a saw and she cuts out. Causes a whole lot more yanking that shouldn't be needed lol.

Now that is one thing that does my head in. Go to grab a saw and she cuts out. Causes a whole lot more yanking that shouldn't be needed lol.

Have you set the auto tune ? and have you had the hotter plug fitted to aid hot starting ? I went through all this with my 560 . Its all sorted now .