How do you cut a eucalyptus stump up with stones inside

scared of heights

Question

I have dug out a large eucalyptus stump but i want to know what is the best way to cut the stump up as i went and bought a electric chainsaw but it hit a stone that was hidden inside the stump. So as i don't know the proper way to sharpen a chainsaw chain and i cannot afford to keep buying chains i was wondering what will be the best way to cut it up. Here is a link to what the stump was like when it was still in the ground.

http://i39.tinypic.com/5y7wx2.jpg

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have dug out a large eucalyptus stump but i want to know what is the best way to cut the stump up as i went and bought a electric chainsaw but it hit a stone that was hidden inside the stump. So as i don't know the proper way to sharpen a chainsaw chain and i cannot afford to keep buying chains i was wondering what will be the best way to cut it up. Here is a link to what the stump was like when it was still in the ground.

Digger, stump grinder? never gone use any saw on that mate,

It's already out the ground dig that hole twice as deep and put it back in and bury it.:biggrin:

You can try (if the saw has any life left) cutting accross the top of the stump as far down towards the roots as you dare then place a wedge in the saw cut and try and split it in half by hitting the wedge with a big hammer, YouTube chain saw sharpening to find out how to do it.

It's already out the ground dig that hole twice as deep and put it back in and bury it.:biggrin:

You can try (if the saw has any life left) cutting accross the top of the stump as far down towards the roots as you dare then place a wedge in the saw cut and try and split it in half by hitting the wedge with a big hammer, YouTube chain saw sharpening to find out how to do it.

Would you have a link to the best video as their is so many.

I'm afraid you're in for a hard time with this one whatever you do - other than hire somebody to dispose of it with larger equipment. A stump grinder would be the obvious way. You can hire these to use yourself, or hire with an operator.

Your post suggests that you are very new to using a chainsaw and have not had any training (formal or informal)? If that's the case, I would suggest sticking to simple cutting with the bottom of the bar resting on the thing you want to cut. I would suggest that you invest in a file and file-guide (only a few pounds) and learn to sharpen the chain as if you're going to use the saw again you will need this skill anyway. Also, forgive me if you've already done this, but please do buy and use PPE as just because it's small doesn't stop it from being lethal.

If you do decide to tackle the stump yourself with what you have available, once you've got the chain sharpened, I would pressure-wash the stump so it's as clean as possible. I would then lay the bar on the cut face, pointing straight towards the middle, and cut down as far as I could towards the roots, without breaking through. I'd then move round and do the same again, to make a series of wedges. I would then drive in a steel wedge into a cut, from the top near the outside, to split it down that line, then do the same with the next cut and carry on round to break it into small pieces.

Other options:

- if you can lift it, take it to the tip whole.

- drag it to the corner of the garden and let it rot down of its own accord (which will take a long time!)

- stick it on every bonfire over the next few years until it finally dries and burns away.

Edited by agg221

never use a chainsaw to chop up a stump unless you want to spend your life sharpening the chain. As lethal and good at cutting as chainsaws are, they are only meant for cutting clean wood. You can get chains that are titanium tipped and stay sharp longer but these are expensive and i am not sure you would be able to find one in the correct size for your electric saw ( i stand to be corrected on that one ). You should have left it in the ground and called someone with a stump grinder or hired one yourself. Seeing as its already out the ground then the options have all been said already by splitting it, burning it and the only one i have not seen yet is drilling a hole and packing it with explosives and running away. Last option not advised :lol:

Try taking some photographs of it from its most appealing side :lol: and list it on Ebay with a 99p start with no reserve :thumbup: Don't forget to put buyer collects :thumbup1:

If I was you I`d get a price to hire a stump grinder for the day (not the ones that are a disk cutter attached to a granny trolley, they`re rubbish) and a price to have someone come and grind it out for you. You may find it works out easiest to have it done professionally. :001_smile: