Predator P26 stump grinder electromagnetic clutch problems.

b101uk

A friend I am working for has a 2006 predator P26 stump grinder which has done 253 hours, yesterday the electromagnetic clutch packed in yet agene, is anyone else having the same reoccurring problem with the Warner Electric Europe electromagnetic clutch p/n 6650-452-000-96 as fitted to Predator P26 stump grinder as they are lasting on average only 50 hours before wearing out.

So far it has had 5 electromagnetic clutch (1 original & 4 purchased) & now it requires its 6th at £400+ each time + labour + downtime.

Also the predator P26 maintenance manual stipulates there should be a gap of 0.25mm to 0.35mm between the relevant clutch surfaces yet later fitting instructions supplied by the manufacture (clutch fitting, burnishing & running in instructions) stipulate 1mm & we have 4 copies of this & the burnishing instructions are different on 3 copy’s showing this is a yet to be resolved problem by the manufacture as to the cause BUT they keep saying its fitting or operator error causing the clutch to fail.

To me I think the size of electromagnetic clutch is not fit for purpose given it is just a rotary on-off switch there is no scope for engaging/disengaging it incorrectly as per a manual clutch.

:thumbdown:

We hired a Predator 26 last year, it had very few hours on it and had just had its 2nd new cluthch fitted by the dealer.

We ground 8 or 9 stumps in the morning and the clutch was bunt out, that was taking our time, grinding 14" diameter ash and cherry stumps.

I personally think the machines are an excellent concept, just poorly constructed.

We hired a Predator 26 last year, it had very few hours on it and had just had its 2nd new cluthch fitted by the dealer.

We ground 8 or 9 stumps in the morning and the clutch was bunt out, that was taking our time, grinding 14" diameter ash and cherry stumps.

I personally think the machines are an excellent concept, just poorly constructed.

there now made in some far eastern country ! says it all

Yes, we hire one from a local dealer and its rubbish! They've had it for about a year and its got through about 4 clutches, its had engine problems and all sorts. Recently sent it back to the franchise (who no longer sell them) to go over everything and we're testing it tomorrow to see if its any better.

It's my understanding that these clutches do take some setting up and adjusting, our grinder (GreenMech) has done serious hours and is on its 2nd clutch. the first twisted the spot welds out after some numpty kept dumping the clutch at full revs and not tickover!

Thanks for all the replies

It seams that clutch is “proprietary/reserved market” part only sold by Arborplant directly, so no agent of Warner Electric Europe can sell them regardless of ware they are in the EU.

We have heard back from Arborplant, who continue to blame fitting/operators for the excessive clutch ware/failure rather than them self’s for a design not fit for purpose which is plainly obvious by the failure rate & the amount of continued changes in supplied fitting/burnishing/running-in instructions. :ohmy:

There best offer is 25% off a new clutch & free fitting by them - NOTING that after they fit it they do not offer ANY warranty whatsoever agenced it failing - lol I may as well fit it! & as far as the 25% off you can bet they are still making >20% on what they buy them in at given the cost of similar units from Warner :tdown:

I have a good mind to try and get the guy I work for to use the sale of goods act 1979 with reference to

14. Implied terms about quality or fitness

(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods -

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

© freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability.

Anyway I am going to look into the other clutch Warner Electric Europe make that would be compatible/comparable with the original unit or HD units & make modification along with obtaining the OEM’s fitting tolerances & design spec to see if it differs from Arborplant application in the P26 with the inevitable results. ;)

Just glad I haven’t fitted any of the other clutches which coincidentally lasted just as long as the original! :001_rolleyes:

You would definitelybe better off sourcing a different clutch, try Ogura (I think the spelling is correct) last at least 500+ hours on a sc252.

got 700 hrs on my 252 only prob ever had cutter head bearing & a few belts just ware & tare pity they dont put it on tracks would eat a pred for breakfast sc252 10 out off 10 :001_cool:

• 1 month later...
Thanks for all the replies

It seams that clutch is “proprietary/reserved market” part only sold by Arborplant directly, so no agent of Warner Electric Europe can sell them regardless of ware they are in the EU.

We have heard back from Arborplant, who continue to blame fitting/operators for the excessive clutch ware/failure rather than them self’s for a design not fit for purpose which is plainly obvious by the failure rate & the amount of continued changes in supplied fitting/burnishing/running-in instructions. :ohmy:

There best offer is 25% off a new clutch & free fitting by them - NOTING that after they fit it they do not offer ANY warranty whatsoever agenced it failing - lol I may as well fit it! & as far as the 25% off you can bet they are still making >20% on what they buy them in at given the cost of similar units from Warner :tdown:

I have a good mind to try and get the guy I work for to use the sale of goods act 1979 with reference to

14. Implied terms about quality or fitness

(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods -

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

© freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability.

Anyway I am going to look into the other clutch Warner Electric Europe make that would be compatible/comparable with the original unit or HD units & make modification along with obtaining the OEM’s fitting tolerances & design spec to see if it differs from Arborplant application in the P26 with the inevitable results. ;)

Just glad I haven’t fitted any of the other clutches which coincidentally lasted just as long as the original! :001_rolleyes:

have you managed to get the clutch problem sorted out yet, if so what was the out come