Terms and conditions - pay rates in particular

While I admire Jason's attitude and get up and go for a 17 year old, I also agree with JJG on this one.

Surely if he is an employee his boss should be providing all PPE at the least. And if he can see potential in Jason then some investment in his training would be a good call surely?

I am pretty tired of the arb industry falling behind on staff care and investment when compared with other industries. It has never affected me as I am self-employed but I hear too many stories from disgruntled staff in other companies.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I admire Jason's attitude and get up and go for a 17 year old, I also agree with JJG on this one.

Surely if he is an employee his boss should be providing all PPE at the least. And if he can see potential in Jason then some investment in his training would be a good call surely?

I am pretty tired of the arb industry falling behind on staff care and investment when compared with other industries. It has never affected me as I am self-employed but I hear too many stories from disgruntled staff in other companies.

i have given lads jobs before when they arent required, keen boys trying to get a start, it can be a hassle, and the money comes out your own pocket. any lad i have spoilt by giving extra money or a general easy ride has thrown it back in my face. you have to show your worth and work hard, minimium wage!!i have went months on end without taking wages so i can keep boys on the books.i will be off for at least a week with no money, my insurance policies wont cover me unless i am in a wheelchair or about to peg it. wheres my minimium wage. i will probably have a 3k bill from my tractor aswell this week, there goes any chance of a holiday for the kids this year, . you just suck it up and get on with it, there are plenty of folk that havent got jobs.

i have given lads jobs before when they arent required, keen boys trying to get a start, it can be a hassle, and the money comes out your own pocket. any lad i have spoilt by giving extra money or a general easy ride has thrown it back in my face. you have to show your worth and work hard, minimium wage!!i have went months on end without taking wages so i can keep boys on the books.i will be off for at least a week with no money, my insurance policies wont cover me unless i am in a wheelchair or about to peg it. wheres my minimium wage. i will probably have a 3k bill from my tractor aswell this week, there goes any chance of a holiday for the kids this year, . you just suck it up and get on with it, there are plenty of folk that havent got jobs.

There's no need for minimum wage for the self employed as I am. Not earnt anything since November!. We are self employed and as such the potential earnings can be massive. Plus all the other reasons we do it. The minimum wage is very low and it's there to protect people from unscrupulous employers. If a business has to employ the cheapest labour it can find, then it's not a viable business and should fold.

I have know Idea what BBB's motives are for employing someone for so little money. I like to think our boy only works 5 hours a day, or gets a ton of logs each week or can take the firms quad home on the weekend etc etc.

The moment has passed for me to set up as an employer, but i am confident that I would pay the top going rate to anyone who worked for me, they'd have been the best around at what they do and they'd have a good idea of their worth.

Italian workers are cheaper!!!!

There's no need for minimum wage for the self employed as I am. Not earnt anything since November!. We are self employed and as such the potential earnings can be massive. Plus all the other reasons we do it. The minimum wage is very low and it's there to protect people from unscrupulous employers. If a business has to employ the cheapest labour it can find, then it's not a viable business and should fold.

I have know Idea what BBB's motives are for employing someone for so little money. I like to think our boy only works 5 hours a day, or gets a ton of logs each week or can take the firms quad home on the weekend etc etc.

The moment has passed for me to set up as an employer, but i am confident that I would pay the top going rate to anyone who worked for me, they'd have been the best around at what they do and they'd have a good idea of their worth.

Italian workers are cheaper!!!!

i would like to think you are right jason, a good lad getting looked after by a good guy. getting some experience and a few percs with the job too. not sure about lending him a quad though, i gave my last apprentice a go of my quad and he rolled it in the cylage pit doing donuts:sneaky2:

im only on £30 a day but im only 17, but have been working for the same firm for nearly 2 years whenever not at school or college (every holiday and most saturdays), i have all my own ppe, climbing kit and self funed cs30, 30.1 and 30.2 and i climb a couple of times a week. i know its not great but the firm that i work for are very good to work for, flexible around college and i dont complain about pay because they are so sound to work for.

Good for you Joe, you remind me of what I was like when i first started work. Do yourself a favour and ask for more money when you think youre worth it. Dont wait for the employer. You,ll be surprised how much they value a decent worker.

Edited by Mick Stockbridge

Good for you Joe, you remind me of what I was like when i first started work. Do yourself a favour and ask for more money when you think youre worth it. Dont wait for the employer. You,ll be surprised how much they value a decent worker.

i always found it really hard to talk about wages with the boss, i would wait till i got really wound up then go off in one and demand a higher wage. then i usually found myself another job. i get on great with all my x employers now, but it would of been so much easier if i had the guts to ask in the first place. save a fall out. but it looks like bbb has saved him the trouble.:001_smile:

There has to be a difference between a contract climber with his own gear coming in when you need him, to guys working 5 days a week on a week in / out basis.

My guys are on £80 per day whether they do a big climb, polesaw a few bits of epicormic, feed the chipper or even sit in the landrover waiting for a shutdown. Sometimes they finish at 2.30, sometimes at 6.00. I would like to pay a bit more, but our contract rates are very tight, and the guys are happy knowing they get £400 a week whatever happens.

Quite true. John (DTC) if you carry on with the same attitude you'll be out of business before you know it! Remember 150 a day is 750 per week every week ... lets hope your clients pay fast or after waiting 90 days you'll be remortgaging!

If a business has to employ the cheapest labour it can find, then it's not a viable business and should fold.

I have know Idea what BBB's motives are for employing someone for so little money. QUOTE]

We have given opportunities to young trainees to gain experience when they are not really required and therefore there is sometimes not the money allowed for on the job. This experience they have gained has set them up as employable tree surgeons with the relvant experience - most employers wouldnt even consider taking them on without it!

If a business has to employ the cheapest labour it can find, then it's not a viable business and should fold.

I have know Idea what BBB's motives are for employing someone for so little money. QUOTE]

We have given opportunities to young trainees to gain experience when they are not really required and therefore there is sometimes not the money allowed for on the job. This experience they have gained has set them up as employable tree surgeons with the relvant experience - most employers wouldnt even consider taking them on without it!

thats what i thought, good man:001_smile:

then the little devils start there own business and take your work:mad1:

but thats what i did:001_smile:

Quite true. John (DTC) if you carry on with the same attitude you'll be out of business before you know it! Remember 150 a day is 750 per week every week ... lets hope your clients pay fast or after waiting 90 days you'll be remortgaging!

Do you mean me?

No, no and no - what goes around comes around - does for me anyway. Sow sparingly (diff. from sensibly) = reap sparingly. My T&Cs are payment within 30 days, end of.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor