Terms and conditions - pay rates in particular

If a business has to employ the cheapest labour it can find, then it's not a viable business and should fold.

I have know Idea what BBB's motives are for employing someone for so little money. QUOTE]

We have given opportunities to young trainees to gain experience when they are not really required and therefore there is sometimes not the money allowed for on the job. This experience they have gained has set them up as employable tree surgeons with the relvant experience - most employers wouldnt even consider taking them on without it!

So it's more of a placement than a Job? I hope he can find a job after the training has come to an end. Maybe you'll be doing that yourself?

I obviously got the wrong end of the stick.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have given lads jobs before when they arent required, keen boys trying to get a start, it can be a hassle, and the money comes out your own pocket. any lad i have spoilt by giving extra money or a general easy ride has thrown it back in my face. you have to show your worth and work hard, minimium wage!!i have went months on end without taking wages so i can keep boys on the books.i will be off for at least a week with no money, my insurance policies wont cover me unless i am in a wheelchair or about to peg it. wheres my minimium wage. i will probably have a 3k bill from my tractor aswell this week, there goes any chance of a holiday for the kids this year, . you just suck it up and get on with it, there are plenty of folk that havent got jobs.

You're obviously a considerate boss. I am not saying all bosses have it easy or make lots of money, no way! My point is that someone that does work hard and show their worth should be on more than minimum wage.

You're obviously a considerate boss. I am not saying all bosses have it easy or make lots of money, no way! My point is that someone that does work hard and show their worth should be on more than minimum wage.

i agree mate, but i am sure bbb is doing the right thing and he will look after the lad:001_smile:

Do you mean me?

No, no and no - what goes around comes around - does for me anyway. Sow sparingly (diff. from sensibly) = reap sparingly. My T&Cs are payment within 30 days, end of.

And what are you going to do if they dont pay?

Twist their wrist or get your dad on 'em?

I think that you have to weigh each employee individually & pay them acordingly. A newly qualified ND student may not be able to climb FA but he has all his tickets. A hard working aprintice, no tickets with you paying for all his training but is early to yard, grafts all day & a good learner with potential to lead a team. An ausome climber whos quick efficient, never damages property & is above all safe but is then i'll at least 1 or 2 days every week. A lead climber whos compitent yet not the quickest but with exelent client manner & business knowlege & skills who can litraly run the show while u go on holiday. What is each worth to you??? Pay them acordingly

Personally:

ND lad allthe gear no idea £65/day but could see rapid rises to £100/day in the 1st year or so, or dick around & stay on £65-75

Aprentice with ton's of potential £70/day increasing as he gets his tickets

Good climber with sh*t atendance £80/day possibly less/day but with an atendance bonus for a clear week

Lead climber who can run the show £100-£160/day dependant on experiance.

While I admire Jason's attitude and get up and go for a 17 year old, I also agree with JJG on this one.

Surely if he is an employee his boss should be providing all PPE at the least. And if he can see potential in Jason then some investment in his training would be a good call surely?

I am pretty tired of the arb industry falling behind on staff care and investment when compared with other industries. It has never affected me as I am self-employed but I hear too many stories from disgruntled staff in other companies.

if had not already had my own ppe which i was willing to use my boss would of got it for me, and he is getting me a pair of stretch airs over the next few weeks as my hiflex need replacing.

I'm just concerned that this chap is not being taken advantage of. He's working below minimum wage by the sounds of it. He's either not that valuable an employee, thus £30 is a fair wage, or he's Average or great, in which case why is he not getting average or great money?

You pay peanuts you get monkeys?

Plus he's paid for his own PPE.

Last time this happened they were Polish workers and everyone complained they were taking jobs away from UK workers.

maybe and it's very possible I've missed something here. I'm sure I'll be put right by one and all, but this smells fishy.

i dont think that i am being taken advantage of, and i am above minimum wage.