Saving trees condemned to felling-help!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Oaks been doing the limbo solo since its partner stem fell away and rotted away, lots of shellbuckling and the ribs are now tension struts. failures in trees happen often this way, very slowly, like a fluid and gracefull movement, body languages are not always so loud though, this ones easy to read. Let the trees tell their story, if you listen they will usualy have a great deal to tell you about how they are doing. would you judge a man before having a conversation?

5976608e3a6ee_bradgate2208.jpg.868b4239a82b675b0673f59b34cace5d.jpg

in fact I will cease opinions till I have PTI and indemnity then I will come back with a vengence, twice as fierce! lol

I suspect getting indemnity for opinions given over the internet may be difficult

I also suspect sueing someone for voicing an opinion on something they have been discussing on the internet would not be successful. None of us are selling our opinions and I think that is the crucial thing.

Tony I don't quite get the above.

This is a rural image with low risk to targets.

Would it not be a better image/point, if you labled an urban scene with the similar conditions ?

o.k lets look behind camera position:biggrin:

the robinia is on the A404 chorleywood, been like this for years! shot thursday on way home also for this thread and I will continue to post tonight to illustrate the remarkably low odds that exist from trees both allowing for the statistics 1-10,000,000 and showing that many many trees we live with are colonised by fungi we are overemphasising, for they are part of the ecology and as common as the trees themselves, even more so in the stressfull urban context. they are all around us, and the stats are the same

597660904b22f_cedarcups055.jpg.5cac50d4dcb7c3099027d6f95eff4d1d.jpg

597660904dbc0_cedarcups056.jpg.6ecec11b2efaf4d5b47d9cc59fd708ba.jpg

59766093b74aa_cedarcups054.jpg.f1fef37d61ee71485d368a0963bd69c1.jpg

59766093babc3_cedarcups064.jpg.a8fcefb74d4b4f4a9f7b86620a56bcac.jpg

59766093bd4fd_cedarcups053.jpg.281d75a2513091e7fd617805ae9df57e.jpg

I'll get a photo of a beech in between me and RobArb. It's knackered and has been for a few years. Sits in a field about 10m from a busy main through road. Last year fruiting bodies of ganos appeared, pretty sure it's pfeifferi. Want to learn more about the owners of this tree. It needs sorting really. Crown is retrenched and severely stag headed. Most people would suggest a fell, but I don't think it's worth climbing!

I'll get to it over the weekend.

page 34, http://www.tcia.org/PDFs/TCI_Mag_Jan_09.pdf

DEFENSIVE REPORTING vs. SYSTEMATIC ASSESSMENT

A branch fell from a nearby live oak onto the walkway leading to city hall, so the city paid for a risk assessment from an ISA Certified Arborist on that tree and the Thoburn Oak. In a one-page letter dated July 18, the arborist proposed removing both trees. He said that they posed a danger to the motorists and pedestrians who pass under them each day, but gave few details. Tree risk formulas typically rate the severity of the defect, the size of the defective part, and the “target rating”, or use of the area under the tree. Next, management options to lessen or “abate” the risk are considered, before recommendations are made.

"Development of abatement options should be as systematic as development of the ratings...cable/bracing and/or reduction of end weight may be required...", according to A Photographic Guide to the Evaluation of Hazard Trees. This arborist later said that “Target rating is the most important factor for me. If there’s a lot of use under the tree it’s dangerous, no matter what you do.”

The city's Tree Advisory Board rejected this defensive report, and decided to get a second opinion ...

The city was satisfied, and decided to go ahead with the cabling of the municipal tree. Given this experience, it is clear that municipalities can and will accept tree cabling. According to Matheny and Clark, “Almost by definition, arborists have a responsibility to care for trees”, and that duty is not breached if we act in a reasonable manner. Offering opinions about trees’ dignity or decrepitude without analyzing the facts is not part of a professional risk assessment. Members of the American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA) follow their Standards of Professional Practice, Item 4.2 G. : " Members shall not take advantage of their positions as Experts by assigning or implying greater significance to an interpretation than it warrants. The degree of certainty of an opinion is as important as the opinion itself and Members shall do nothing, actively or passively, to misstate the degree of certainty."

Instead of reporting defensively by injecting opinions or exaggerations, we should be systematically assessing standard treatment options to abate risk. If the treatments follow the standards and the ISA BMP’s, there is no reason to fear liability from working on trees that some would dismiss as “decrepit”.