People wanting stuff on the cheap and keeping the peace.... ??

swinny

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people always want stuff done on the cheap? but when you deal with them they want top wack?

Why do ignorant people always slag off softwood?

Why do gardeners take on treework then call you in, and think the tree surgeon is on a good do for the day? not realising how much equiptment/experiance/work and insurance goes into the job....

Someone i rent land off wants a tree removing and logging up.... he's going to come with me as "i want all the logs cutting at 90 degree's" so they can be split and not slide away. Offer a splitting service but wants doing for a months rent...... this is a 350-400 quid job though ....

Why do people not like others making money?

Profits not a dirty word is it! an why just earn a wage

When/what time do you just say NO! im no pushover :angryfire:

Or do you keep the peace... i'd rather say NO

Sorry for the rant, any advice for the above? it may also help others in same/simialr predicament.

Oh the irony!

I had a similar thought today... I tendered a refurb project for a well known private school, not a big job but worth having, I went in 'keen' and discovered today that of the 5 tenders, ours and 1 other price were spot on what the QS had said would be keen pricing, yet there were 2 other contractors waaaay lower.

I know that this school charges a bloody fortune for everything, yet they are happily complicit in screwing the profit out of the industry. If their QS has told them the lowest prices are running a loss, they should discount them, if not on moral grounds then how about to protect themselves from the contractor going bust mid contract or trying to up the value by being contractual...?

Fortunately we don't need to compete in that end of the market, but so long as businesses buy work the whole economy is going to continue to slide... things can't really head in the right direction until everyone is making profit they can reinvest....

Stick to your guns boys, it will benefit everyone in the end...

I had a similar thought today... I tendered a refurb project for a well known private school, not a big job but worth having, I went in 'keen' and discovered today that of the 5 tenders, ours and 1 other price were spot on what the QS had said would be keen pricing, yet there were 2 other contractors waaaay lower.

I know that this school charges a bloody fortune for everything, yet they are happily complicit in screwing the profit out of the industry. If their QS has told them the lowest prices are running a loss, they should discount them, if not on moral grounds then how about to protect themselves from the contractor going bust mid contract or trying to up the value by being contractual...?

Fortunately we don't need to compete in that end of the market, but so long as businesses buy work the whole economy is going to continue to slide... things can't really head in the right direction until everyone is making profit they can reinvest....

Stick to your guns boys, it will benefit everyone in the end...

Why should they care if some muppet want to loose money cutting their grass.

This thread is very amusing, how often do we have threads asking for the cheapest supplier for some item or service, I've never read a post where people are concerned that a saw supplier may not be covering their costs and really should not discount their saws so much :001_rolleyes:

We are all in control of what we charge and who we work for, as they said on Grange Hill "just say no":biggrin:

I think we should be told why? :001_smile:

Daughter got seriously injured and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks (she's fine now but we nearly lost her), and we all had a really hard time. I stayed in with her for second week and got really ill myself and ended up being admitted. Wasn't far off popping me clogs, and it got me thinking of all the times I've been walked over, all the years I haven't made anything of myself because of it, all the nothing that I've got to leave to my wife and kids when I do, and the whole episode gave me a kick in the rear. All of a sudden I won't take crap from anyone and things are going to change for the better. I feel better and more confident because of it.

Daughter got seriously injured and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks (she's fine now but we nearly lost her), and we all had a really hard time. I stayed in with her for second week and got really ill myself and ended up being admitted. Wasn't far off popping me clogs, and it got me thinking of all the times I've been walked over, all the years I haven't made anything of myself because of it, all the nothing that I've got to leave to my wife and kids when I do, and the whole episode gave me a kick in the rear. All of a sudden I won't take crap from anyone and things are going to change for the better. I feel better and more confident because of it.

My time for this was 24 dec 2007, almost lost my boy at the age of just under a month he was born on 27 nov. he was in London for two weeks on full ventilator and drips. This was my turning point, my partner and me ran shifts, I done the night shift and worked day time, she done the day shift.

I can see exactly were you are coming from and I've gone the same way, if people are not worth it then sod it.

If the quote is excepted then anything else is quoted again and invoice supplied for work done.

But I'm the same way as I try and get cheaper from parts suppliers etc. who doesn't.

i think dealers work within a profit margin where they can comfortably work the buyer? if they put the price on something knowing they can comfortably take £20 less (for example) they will because the buyer will purchase thinking theyve got them selves a nice deal, thats the way i see it anyhow. my dads a general builder and someone asked him halfway through a job if he did student discount... think he nearly got a trowel in the head haha