Unimog front mount type.

Well don't get a big Jensen like I have Chris. As you know from my other thread, the main bearings are a nightmare when they fail.

It's interesting though that most of the current Mog photos with front mounts are Shleising don't you think?!

Don't discount Bandit though.

why did they fail,do you not check for fly wheel play :confused1:

i check mine regular,to avoid probs,like that,or was a forghin object put thru,by mistake?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well don't get a big Jensen like I have Chris. As you know from my other thread, the main bearings are a nightmare when they fail.

It's interesting though that most of the current Mog photos with front mounts are Shleising don't you think?!

Don't discount Bandit though.

I will be looking at Schleising, Bandit and Hucks old chipper at Alex Prices although i doubt that one will still be for sale when im ready to buy one, is there anything else you think i need to consider whn looking for a front mount? :thumbup1:

I will be looking at Schleising, Bandit and Hucks old chipper at Alex Prices although i doubt that one will still be for sale when im ready to buy one, is there anything else you think i need to consider whn looking for a front mount? :thumbup1:

iv had a tracked jensen for 6yr best all round chipper iv ever had:thumbup1:

thers only 3 front mount to look @ jeny, tp.shiesling,:001_smile:

Over the years ive put, in order, a Farmi 250, Bandit 90, Farmi 250 (again), TP250, and finally a Jensen 141 on ths front of various unimogs- non have any problems whatsoever discharging chip into the rear chip bin- the Jensen could blow the chip another 30ft behind the mog without the aid of any futher modifications to the flywheel fan or addition of blower

Thats interesting, any pictures??

What were you chipping??

My Ducker (without blower) which is basically a TP was great on timber, but wet laylandii was a nightmare.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but it was a very frustrating and expensive experience, that I don't want others to have the same problems I had.

My advice would be to set up a test for the chipper before you go the trouble of fitting it to the front. You need to extend the shoot enough to go over the cab and then try chipping some wet laylandii with very little timber in it.

Its not just a case of seeing how far the chipper throws the chip, its about when the chip starts to drop, as the chip drops, bits land in the bottom of the shoot and then builds up and it blocks.

Edited by skyhuck

why did they fail,do you not check for fly wheel play :confused1:

i check mine regular,to avoid probs,like that,or was a forghin object put thru,by mistake?

They don't fail every week. I've had the chipper for 6.5 years.

From what I've learnt, chippers have cartridge style bearings that are easy to replace. The big Jensen bearings are slide onto the main shaft so half the machine has to be dismantled to pull the shaft to change the bearings.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2isdsh

The thing I envisage being the biggest contributor to the blockage problem is the shape of the discharge chute.

Years ago I had a 5" Camon tow along, the most dire chipper in the whole world. The chute got blocked while I was eating my breakfast each day!

We made a new constant radius chute, in other words, no straight sections. It was still a useless chipper but it discharged like a mad 'un.

Obviously it would be a bit more labour intensive to fabricate but i believe it would solve the problem for any chipper that keeps blocking up.

Any thoughts?

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3carp3

The thing I envisage being the biggest contributor to the blockage problem is the shape of the discharge chute.

Years ago I had a 5" Camon tow along, the most dire chipper in the whole world. The chute got blocked while I was eating my breakfast each day!

We made a new constant radius chute, in other words, no straight sections. It was still a useless chipper but it discharged like a mad 'un.

Obviously it would be a bit more labour intensive to fabricate but i believe it would solve the problem for any chipper that keeps blocking up.

Any thoughts?

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3carp3

I tried assorts, I tapered the chute down slightly, my theory being that the chip decelerated as the volume of air in the chip reduced, it did not work.

The Schiesling has a chute as you have described, so you could be right.

EDIT, thinking about it the Schliesling chute also tappers down in size, so maybe my theory has some merit after all???

I tried assorts, I tapered the chute down slightly, my theory being that the chip decelerated as the volume of air in the chip reduced, it did not work.

The Schiesling has a chute as you have described, so you could be right.

EDIT, thinking about it the Schliesling chute also tappers down in size, so maybe my theory has some merit after all???

You're right, all chutes taper to create a Venturi effect otherwise there would be an air pressure loss as the chips travel further through the chute.

Now, the more I think about the radius style, I'm fairly sure Schliesing are the only ones with a constant radius. We're geniuses! :laugh1:

On the subject of photos, there is a Mog mounted Jensen A141 12" on earborist now.

I also saw a photo once of a 12" Duecker with a blower on the front of the Mog. It had a chute extension that passed over the chip box and into a big trailer behind. The chute extension also had a blower fitted to keep the chips moving. Cool but mad.