How can I open excel files for free

gensetsteve

OK just checked with one of my colleagues do you want command line cad or point and click? Also 2D or 3D? Also do you want CAD or do you just want to amend existing plans (you don't actually need CAD for this)?

If you want something on site then our Android App will do simple CAD soon. You will still need something to sort out the data back in the office.

By the way Brisbane is my favorite Aus City.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes LibreOffice is in effect OpenOffice, it should be pointed out that Libre Office can tend to be a bit more buggy than OpenOffice also while docx seem to be OK some of the others are not so well dealt with, also you get Sun Microsytems behind OO so going forward the product development should be excellent.

I used to use OpenOffice, but now use LibreOffice - it's a variant of OO, but seems to be much better at opening the new .docx files without messing up the format of the document than OpenOffice is :thumbup1:

LibreOffice Productivity Suite Download LibreOffice

I need to open microsoft excel files but dont need to create them. Being a tight git dont see why I should be forced to buy excel. I tried to download a free package which down loaded a load of rubbish incl Imesh . If you ever get the chance to download Imesh DONT although not aggressive malware but its not far off and u cant uninstall it easily.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but OpenOffice is good :biggrin:

... you get Sun Microsytems behind OO so going forward the product development should be excellent.

Nearly true. Sun Microsystems were acquired by Oracle a few years back, and subsequently, Oracle announced that they would stop the commercial development, see OpenOffice.org - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would also argue, that LibreOffice is no more buggy than OpenOffice, but that's besides the point.

An alternative that doesn't require installing ANY software is to use Google Documents. Upload the Excel (xls or xlsx) file to Google Documents, and you can read it in your favourite browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, ...). All you need is a (free) Google account.

Edited by morten

Actually if we are being pedantic it is run by Apache Software Foundation, but since most of these people are the old people from Sun everyone just calls them Sun, same with the Java team which is why OO Macros have migrated to Java.

Much better than VBA anyway. If you really test LibreOffice there are some bugs in it but having said that if you really test MS Office you get the same thing. Also LibreOffice has been further down the line, so take your pick really.

You do need broadband though for excel in particular.

An alternative that doesn't require installing ANY software is to use Google Documents. Upload the Excel (xls or xlsx) file to Google Documents, and you can read it in your favourite browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, ...). All you need is a (free) Google account.
Edited by John Roberts
quote front tag missing

Hi,

If all you want to do is open to view & print XL files then you can download the files viewer from Microsoft - they also have a similar PP & Word viewer.

Download: Excel Viewer - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

otherwise choose one of the many free office suites, I would use OpenOffice, but there is Libra Office & Oxygen which uses the OO engine .

If you want online/cloud based then Google docs & ThinkFree.

N

I use the free Microsoft Skydrive.

(Microsoft SkyDrive - Online document storage and file sharing)

You can open and edit all the office priducts and you get Gigs of file space too. It's cloud based and available with just an internet connection. Or search for the microsoft excel viewer, you can't edit but it renders the files properly, I've found with Open Office some entries don't show properly from excel.

I need to open microsoft excel files but dont need to create them. Being a tight git dont see why I should be forced to buy excel. I tried to download a free package which down loaded a load of rubbish incl Imesh . If you ever get the chance to download Imesh DONT although not aggressive malware but its not far off and u cant uninstall it easily.