Jeremy Vine Today

MikeTM150

Just been listening to Mr Vine in my tractor spreading slurry, he was taking a debate about how it has been suggested that having people to go around and wake people up and get them going in the morning would help them get them off benefits and help them adjust to working life.

Is this country that barking mad and soft, or am I just an egotistical sadist thinking that this is a load of tosh and perhaps a little tough love may help more?????:confused1:

you are not alone what a load of tosh ive got four young kid's i have to get up and work for my family, take there money away . if this does not stop where will it end

yes there are some familys that need help so help them, and let the dross rot

Just recently I've seen this from the other side. Due to ill health, hospitalisation, and a long recovery period of some 4months now, I spent my savings on living, I spent my overdraft on living, then found out we could claim benefits (never had to, didn't know how to,) and a nice chap from the DWP came around and filled out the forms with my wife. Enough to manage on, but that's it. Anyway I'm now fit enough I think to return to work, so I ring them up and inform them I shan't be needing their money anymore thank you very much. Oh no, they says, you need to keep claiming something in case you find youre not fit enough to work every day. But I will be, regardless, stop my cliaims now. It's not that simple, we have to ensure that you are ok financially. It seems that now I'm "on the system" I can't get off. They have the money and want to give it away. I actually got quite annoyed on the phone, as this country is in the poo and all they want to do is keep people on their books. I don't understand it. It's like they have to justify their positions and jobs by keeping us claiming. :confused1:

Andy, they will keep sending you money and come April next year you will get a letter saying you have been overpaid and you must pay the money back, seen it before.

Suppose they want the factory's back with kids darting around picking up the cotton off the floor around the weavers to reuse it.....

you are not alone what a load of tosh ive got four young kid's i have to get up and work for my family, take there money away . if this does not stop where will it end

yes there are some familys that need help so help them, and let the dross rot

But that's the tricky thing ain't it - how do you tell the dross from genuine people? It's the dross that knows more about the system and how to play it....

There's no easy solution.... you can get people form filling etc and assess their eligibility and this is what they do now and all this takes time and money....

Maybe the only way is to simplify the system and reduce the payments that are made so there is more incentive to get back to work even for a low wage....

.... not an ideal solution but then there is no ideal solution!

Andy, they will keep sending you money and come April next year you will get a letter saying you have been overpaid and you must pay the money back, seen it before.

Suppose they want the factory's back with kids darting around picking up the cotton off the floor around the weavers to reuse it.....

This is exactly why I wanted the cash flow stopped, plus Im a firm believer that if you're fit for work, you work, end of!The system is thereto protect those who need protection, to help those who need help, not to be abused. Interestingly, when we went for an assessment a couple of weeks ago, we were shepherded away from the wasters into a nice little room with coffees and biccies, the wasters just got a plastic chair to sit on. They (staff) k ow which section people fit into.

The first mistake is to listen to Jeremy Vine it's the same everyday.

So I seem to have learnt!!!:biggrin: Not usually in a tractor that time of day so i'm sure it won't be a problem in the near future!!!

Andy, I have no problem and encourage people like yourself who are genuinely ill and cannot work to have a system to support you. But am surprised that seeing as you can't seem to get out the system now your fit too work seems daft and is what annoys me.

I appreciate there are people and circumstances that prevent them being in employment. But there are too many people who claim they can't work or are just too lazy to work, and to suggest sending someone round to wake them up and get them going is just plain old tosh!!

Its too easy for some to do nothing in this country, life is not easy, never will be no matter how much money you have or what lifestyle you lead. The more you have the more you have to lose!! I'm sure Sir Alan Sugar or Richard Branson would soon agree that even their wealth doesn't bring an easy life!