"Health and Safety Issue" idiots!

Jon Hartley

I dont agree with taking your medicine if you didnt do anything wrong. If you have to go back for extra work then you charge accordingly. People are always out to get something for free and if you give it to them then you just lost! I can understand you wanting to keep them sweet but all you need to do is do the extra work at a minimal profit. Whats not on spec is extra and extras get payed for unless they are very small and only involve 10 minutes or so. Anyone wanting something for nothing should be welcomed into the real world slowly so as not to explode their tiny brains.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont agree with taking your medicine if you didnt do anything wrong. If you have to go back for extra work then you charge accordingly. People are always out to get something for free and if you give it to them then you just lost! I can understand you wanting to keep them sweet but all you need to do is do the extra work at a minimal profit. Whats not on spec is extra and extras get payed for unless they are very small and only involve 10 minutes or so. Anyone wanting something for nothing should be welcomed into the real world slowly so as not to explode their tiny brains.

I tend to agree. I would have done the extra work but would have charged to cover the costs as a minimum. The scope of the work would be covered in the quote and the method statement. So they have documentation to surmise what they will get for thier money. After the first time you charge them for the extras, it'll be them that makes sure that they know what they're paying for!

I hope you had the CVI pad out and got paid for the additional work.... Surely you have a standard specification you work too, if you re asked to go beyond this then extra costs are chargeable... ££££$$$$$$

If you did it gratis i bet this won't happen next time.... bang some extra ££$$ on the next few jobs you get from them and make up the difference...

lol we get it all the time, thing is its never a real h&S issue, its just a teanant ( living for free) wanting more free work doing!

had one recently where we pollarded a london plane, the tenant wanted the tree down.

We expalined to her that the hosing association was not willing to pay for the removal, we did the work.

As soon as we left she put in a complaint. we were told to come back and reduce the tree further, as this is what the tenant told us to do in the first place! Didnt realise we were to take orders from the tenants.

We said no as we had done exactly as we quoted. any further work would be charged for.

Housing asociation then demaned a site meeting, so we had to do a 70 mile round trip for the h/a woman to tip up, not say a word to me (rude woman) say we r not paying you and then left.

luckly we were subbing for another company so we got paid but they took the hit.

what can u do?

thing is if u complain they just dont bother to use u again!

What bugs me is there is an army of free loaders out there who make a living out of demanding stuff, as soon as they dont get extras the complain and the housing people automatically take there word over yours!

ok rant over:001_smile:

lol we get it all the time, thing is its never a real h&S issue, its just a teanant ( living for free) wanting more free work doing!

had one recently where we pollarded a london plane, the tenant wanted the tree down.

We expalined to her that the hosing association was not willing to pay for the removal, we did the work.

As soon as we left she put in a complaint. we were told to come back and reduce the tree further, as this is what the tenant told us to do in the first place! Didnt realise we were to take orders from the tenants.

We said no as we had done exactly as we quoted. any further work would be charged for.

Housing asociation then demaned a site meeting, so we had to do a 70 mile round trip for the h/a woman to tip up, not say a word to me (rude woman) say we r not paying you and then left.

luckly we were subbing for another company so we got paid but they took the hit.

what can u do?

thing is if u complain they just dont bother to use u again!

What bugs me is there is an army of free loaders out there who make a living out of demanding stuff, as soon as they dont get extras the complain and the housing people automatically take there word over yours!

ok rant over:001_smile:

A Housing Association is a legal entity just like any other client. As long as your job spec clearly defines the work to be carried out and that work was carried out, take them to court to force payment. If they have knocked you once and treated you with such contempt, they won't think twice about shafting you again. Of course, if you want customers like them then by all means work for free. :001_smile:

Have to agree about keeping them sweet.

It's not a one off and you may lose a lot of future business if you dig your heels in.

Most surveyors are realistic though and just say give the tennant what they want and bung the difference on the next job.

The hardest thing to learn is how to deal with the situation keeping pride intact and not falling out with he who giveth you work.

We too have had the crap that surrounds taking a overhanging branch back too far.

Yep sometimes we really have to bite our tounge!

We were very lucky in that the co we subbed to took the hit ( they are massive too) but its very annoying as we did it to the letter of our quote.

Anyway back to work for them some more in the morning!

I would email HSE myth busters,with this case, they are determined to end this over zealous, out of proportion risk assessment culture. There is an acceptable risk, risk does not have to be eliminated.

Get their support and email it to the idiot telling you to remove the wood chips.

I hadnt heard of HSE Myth Busters, brilliant!