Fishing pole method

Sciadopitys

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a pic its difficult to explain, you need a throwline, over a big central branch union high up in the canopy, throwline doesnt need to be isolated as one end just runs down the back of the tree and you tie it above where the notch is going with a running bowline, the other end is for pulling the tree over, just walk it out from the tree. Its an excellent technique so long as your skilled with a throwbag and have a good eye for selecting the right spot where the rope is going over. It can go badly wrong if you select the wrong spot due to stem twisting or pulling to one side.

Edited by scotspine1

Newbie question: can someone explain " the fishing pole method " ive not heard of it.

Its a rigging method where you have numerous pulleys along a limb / stem and the rope runs through one after the other, and the rigging line is tied to the section at the end of the limb. when the section is cut, the numerous pulleys spread the forces along the limb like the theory behind a fishing rod!

seen it used once in the States, never tried it - mainly cos i have never needed to. Just wondered who's used it and what they thought.

Its a rigging method where you have numerous pulleys along a limb / stem and the rope runs through one after the other, and the rigging line is tied to the section at the end of the limb. when the section is cut, the numerous pulleys spread the forces along the limb like the theory behind a fishing rod!

Oh that one, its complete nonsense. Everything about that 'fishing pole' technique is wrong, talk about rigging yourself into a quandry. It was experimental, no-one uses it cause they know its rubbish, sorry but its true.

Edited by scotspine1

really??i used it on monday when i had to top out a leylandii from 60 to 20ft in a very tight space, you can imagine the depth of the row, using the fishing pole method i was just about able to crane out stuff on a to what ended up with a pulley on a 3" limb that other wise would of snapped straight out,its all in how you set it up but i think it works very well especial when i shock loaded it with bits that i thought would honestly rip the top of the tree out......