How old is old enough for an axe?

Daniël Bos

Opinions and experiences from parents please, when do you reckon a child is/was old enough for his/her first axe (or hatchet or similar).:001_smile:

My kids (twin girls, 5 in august) are fairly physical, and quite well trusted with kitchen-knifes and such, you can give them a bowl of tomatoes, a chopping board and a knife and they'll happily chop them in bits in a somewhat safe manner.:sneaky2:

Now it'll be their birthday in august, and my wife just said she'd like to get them a GB mini-hatchet each:001_smile:. Now, whilst I'm proud of my children for earning our trust and respect, and proud to have a wife that wants to get them such presents for their 5th, I'm not quite sure whether or not I think it's a good plan?:confused1:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think thats a bit young dont think I would take chance you would never forgive yourself if something bad happened you know what kids are like take your eye off them for one second and thats when they will decide to do something stupid

With a shed full of razor sharp axes etc I took the view I might as well teach my son when 5 yrs old or he will 'have a go ', so I went about it in a strick manner using techniques I learnt from the 'old axe boys' and all went well. I brought him a pair of Husky saw wellies size 6 is the smallest (still got them if somebody wants them) and he worked any for years with the axes getting bigger.

By 11 yrs old I brought him a MS170 and all the PPE, with added 4x4 driving on a large estate - kept him focused for years.

Now aged 20 when he took him CS38/9 and doing level 4, and is a good safe Arb worke:thumbup1:r

If you're not sure then my guess is they are not ready. By the very nature of their use, a hatchet injury is likely to be more serious than a kitchen knife incident. Before anybody jumps down my throat, I appreciate that knife injuries can be bad too but I draw your attention to the word 'likely'. :001_smile:

My sentiments exactly. You swing an axe and it could be pretty nasty my daughter is 7 and done loads with me but dont fancy letting her loose with an axe. They have loads of time learn such skills.

With a shed full of razor sharp axes etc I took the view I might as well teach my son when 5 yrs old or he will 'have a go ', so I went about it in a strick manner using techniques I learnt from the 'old axe boys' and all went well. I brought him a pair of Husky saw wellies size 6 is the smallest (still got them if somebody wants them) and he worked any for years with the axes getting bigger.

By 11 yrs old I brought him a MS170 and all the PPE, with added 4x4 driving on a large estate - kept him focused for years.

Now aged 20 when he took him CS38/9 and doing level 4, and is a good safe Arb worke:thumbup1:r

nice story there blazer........:thumbup:

When maisy is 5 i hope to start teeching her some stuff and get her into my line of work...............:thumbup1:

Opinions and experiences from parents please, when do you reckon a child is/was old enough for his/her first axe (or hatchet or similar).:001_smile:

My kids (twin girls, 5 in august) are fairly physical, and quite well trusted with kitchen-knifes and such, you can give them a bowl of tomatoes, a chopping board and a knife and they'll happily chop them in bits in a somewhat safe manner.:sneaky2:

Now it'll be their birthday in august, and my wife just said she'd like to get them a GB mini-hatchet each:001_smile:. Now, whilst I'm proud of my children for earning our trust and respect, and proud to have a wife that wants to get them such presents for their 5th, I'm not quite sure whether or not I think it's a good plan?:confused1:

Hey Rover not sure how girls fight but I have 3 boys-Lucas is 5 and Sebastian and Lawrence are 3! That's them in my avatar-im not sure I'd trust them if they were 25! You know your own girls tho... as I write this they are fighting over a dummy...:biggrin: