Is there a northern Spudulike?

growforest

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I sat & read through the posts and left me wondering is it the moon phase or weather thats set this off.

We have different types of folk on here, the "can do's" the "wish they could do's" and by the look of it a secret sect that think everyone should use a main dealer for servicing.

Years ago when life was too busy I sometimes used to get my chains sharpened at a main dealer, until once I watched in horror every tooth on the chain turning blue and when I pointed out they were wrecked by over heating & the temper taken out of them by grinding too fast, all I got as a reply was "we do hundreds and they are ok" needless to say he never had any more work from me. Before that a saw I took in came back with someone else's parts? (seemed a common accepted thing at the time, not for me though)

I know not all are like this and some are really good guys who do a good job BUT as long as I can do my own work I will. And to be honest it is not rocket science if you understand ports/timing and are good at it. The benefits of a racing background in my younger days.

One active member on here has the gift of this understanding and shares it to help out others (keep posting Spud,:thumbup1: your posts always have a good number of hits which says it all) and it looks like the secret sect dont like the sharing of knowledge or anyone other than themselves getting a saw to work on:confused1:.

As for the last post mention £100 for a service, you dont want many services like that to buy a brand new saw!! we all know they have to cover overheads but come on:thumbdown:

Its sunday night, wind & rain on the window & too tired so not wasting more time, all I will say is.........

Keep at it Spud, you must be doing something right or they wouldnt be having a go, especially as they got so much work piling into the workshop .:sneaky2:

errr... I was actually responding to an earlier post from terrytibbs who said he had been charged £100 from a dealer for a service. It certainly wasn't me who was or would charge that figure for an annual menu service.

I am certainly not suggesting everyone should use a main dealer (we are a main dealer for certain brands, but we are happy to service/repair other quality brands that we are not a dealer for- which I suppose could also classify us as an independant as well. In the nearly 13 years I have been running my family owned business we have seen the decline of at least a dozen main/independent and fred in a shed repairers which were my direct competition in my catchment area. If my business has seen other businesses fold that are from all of the repair spectrum, then I must be doing something right to still be here.

We are not silly, and neither do we think our customers are. We treat all our customers failry, politely and with integrity. We treat each job on its own merits and should there be a return problem then we are happy to put it right at no further charge. In my time I have only had to politely tell some one not to come back on two occasions- and both due to "pilot error" rather than anything we have done.

We get customers coming to us who have had someone else have a go at repairing their machine and we end up putting it right. Sure we charge a bit more than some others but our guarantee is we fix it correctly or you get your money back and there aren't many people who offer than guarantee.

Sure there are dealers who are pretty poor (we have had more new customers coming to us this year due to being dissatisfied with their more local main dealer) but there are main dealers that are pretty good. There are independents and the fred in the shed who are poor or good.

No different to any aspect of life really.

Edited by pleasant

Shall we leave it at that and all move on now, Pleasant has summed it up well, I am embarassed and probably not worthy of some of this praise from both friends and members, there are a few guys on the site capable of fixing saws and a few that will delve in to other kit as well.

We have some good threads for members to glean valuable info from both the dealers thread and spud in his shed:lol: etc, all are there to share and benefit from and that is what a forum is all about IMO.

Lets move on - I think the original answer was Elfinwood - give him a PM:thumbup:

I think that with the cost of posting an item to either a dealer or otherwise finding one that you trust is not that hard as you can just post the saw or item to them.

I would post a saw to Scotland if I has a dealer there that I trust and would use, I don't so I rob ably won't.

I will try dealers but if they get something wrong or I'm not happy with customer service etc I won't use them again, it's that simple. Find another.

I'm looking for a carb for a 200t as the fix for them didn't work, think there is another problem with it that I haven't found so its off to buy a new one. Not worth messing about with.