Is there a northern Spudulike?

growforest

If we lost members like Spud and GardenKit (who both don't sponsor) then it'd be a shame for the site. Their knowledge is invaluable.

As for a 'dealers who want to share their knowledge' thread? Other than garden kit most would consider that to be against their benefit? would a dealer who is sponsor of this site wants to pay one of their mechanics to give free advice? I doubt it!! (GardenKit is the exception to this rule)

I went to my local 'approved Husqvarna' dealer as my first port of call for a service on my 372XP, asking for service works that were necessary and a check on the tuning, i asked him how he tunes and his own words were 'by ear'. Tuning by ear on a saw with a limited coil?!

THAT is why Spud serviced my saw, it was quicker (including posting time) and cheaper. Though price wasn't a factor, quality of service is. And importantly he has the trust of me, and other members of this site. My local dealer has lost mine.

That said if any of the dealers people have highly recommended in this thread were local to me then i certainly would be working with them.

Chris

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we lost members like Spud and GardenKit (who both don't sponsor) then it'd be a shame for the site. Their knowledge is invaluable.

As for a 'dealers who want to share their knowledge' thread? Other than garden kit most would consider that to be against their benefit? would a dealer who is sponsor of this site wants to pay one of their mechanics to give free advice? I doubt it!! (GardenKit is the exception to this rule)

I went to my local 'approved Husqvarna' dealer as my first port of call for a service on my 372XP, asking for service works that were necessary and a check on the tuning, i asked him how he tunes and his own words were 'by ear'. Tuning by ear on a saw with a limited coil?!

THAT is why Spud serviced my saw, it was quicker (including posting time) and cheaper. Though price wasn't a factor, quality of service is. And importantly he has the trust of me, and other members of this site. My local dealer has lost mine.

That said if any of the dealers people have highly recommended in this thread were local to me then i certainly would be working with them.

Chris

Thanks Terry - sounds like the 372XP is still doing the business and thanks for the kind comments, it makes a difference:thumbup:

Recommendations mean everything to knowing you can trust a dealer, if it be cars, trucks, or garden equipment.

I've looked back at posts I've said and I may have been jumping the gun on some things but not all.

This site is excellent and I hope it stays as it is.

Steve if I have said anything that has offended or been out of line then I Apologise to both you or anyone else.

Dealers like everyone else have a business to uphold and run so they require people to bring in saws or kit that needs fixing.

This is an apology to anyone I have annoyed with posts.

Richard.

Ps I'm doing better today as a non smoker so my mood is a good one. Nothing to do with getting it last night and some frustrations have gone away. :001_tongue:

Chris

-Firstly not all 372XP saws are rev limited, depends on the age.

-Tuning by ear as the saw comes out of a test log and/or making timed cuts are the only way to tune a saw with electronic rev limiter. Not using a tachometer. Most mechanics will just set it to the "basic" setting and leave it at that.

The saw had a blue coil, it had the max revs engraved in to the side of it and the tach would not read beyond the set max revs so it is a LIMITED coil.

The saw was set lean at the top end when it came in - well in to where the rev limited coil was kicking in, the owner had said it lacked power so I retuned it for him, on a tight timescale and he is happy with it and this was around 6-8 months ago, I really dont understand where this is going???:confused1:

IMO the rules need tightening up.

I see no difference between advertising the fact you repair saws in posts and having an advertisement to the fact that you repair saws in your sig line. Which I have seen members do and I assume they were asked to remove it.

Some members have also endorsed a certain Stihl parts supplier, who as far as I am aware are not a sponsor. There are several sponsors that offer similar apart from the fact they allow you to buy Stihl parts over the internet. Which is forbidden by Stihl. They are either a Dealer themselves and when Stihl find out will get shut down or they buy from another Dealer who would find himself in hot water if Stihl were aware. This is a result of dealers instructed to only sell to end users not third parties. Not to mention the copyright infringement by uploading all the parts lists from MediaCat.

Many of you have said it would damage the site if certain members were deterred from posting. That would only occur if they did in fact have a financial interest in the site but refused to pay ad fees.

IMO the rules need tightening up.

I see no difference between advertising the fact you repair saws in posts and having an advertisement to the fact that you repair saws in your sig line. Which I have seen members do and I assume they were asked to remove it.

Some members have also endorsed a certain Stihl parts supplier, who as far as I am aware are not a sponsor. There are several sponsors that offer similar apart from the fact they allow you to buy Stihl parts over the internet. Which is forbidden by Stihl. They are either a Dealer themselves and when Stihl find out will get shut down or they buy from another Dealer who would find himself in hot water if Stihl were aware. This is a result of dealers instructed to only sell to end users not third parties. Not to mention the copyright infringement by uploading all the parts lists from MediaCat.

Many of you have said it would damage the site if certain members were deterred from posting. That would only occur if they did in fact have a financial interest in the site but refused to pay ad fees.

These points have been addressed mostly earlier in the thread if you had read it all...I see little point in this post other than trying to stir things up. Forums fine as it is :001_smile: