Is there a northern Spudulike?

growforest

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Garden Kit,

I hope I don't come across as anti-dealer, as I have used many for different things (from cars to saws to other tools etc).

I think it's also interesting that, of the three dealers who have posted on this thread, only one (yourself) gives a location and none of them give a business name. As such, no direct implication can be made of a connection between any comment on this site and your specific businesses. It must therefore be taken as generic comment. There are several of the named dealers on here who get good reviews. However, as you correctly state, as in any business there are good and bad.

Pleasant's post about the requirements placed on him in his capacity as a dealer is a good summary. One thing to take from it though, is that for some work a non-dealer route is significantly better, specifically when you aren't looking for work where the person is obliged to cover themself in performing it.

However, the issue as I see it is that dealers (collectively) do seek to justify their service, rather than listen to the service that the customer wants, and then complain when the customer goes elsewhere to get the service they want, rather than take the service offered.

For example, when my 066 took out another pot and piston, the local dealer suggested that because it was old I should buy a new saw. I'm happy to accept that, at their rates, it wasn't an economic repair. However, I'm not happy with the suggestion that I should not use another service with lower rates that made it an economic repair but should in fact buy a new saw from them as a first choice, particularly if you take into account that at the time it was unclear whether I had a fuel supply issue, which had it destroyed the brand new saw would have been classed as my fault. I pointed out the flaw in the logic, they felt I should buy a new saw anyway and find out, so if that was wrecked I would buy another brand new saw and change my fuel supply.

I have seen a few threads in the past year or so where dealers have offered an explanation of the benefits of buying through a dealer, however they are only benefits if they are things I want, otherwise they're just extra cost. I don't think this point is often accepted.

My professional life is spent in a very high end service industry, with commensurate charge rates. There are people we don't work for, as we do not offer the most appropriate solution. We are happy to point them in the direction of more appropriate alternatives rather than try to force-fit their needs into our services. I think this is a lesson that some of the dealers I have encountered need to learn.

Alec

I'm super-new here, but not to technical forums in general and IMHO is would be absolutely insane to do anything to discourage people such as Spud and Garden Kit from posting freely.

Technical forums such as this live or die based entirely on the levels of knowledge/experience/advice on tap.

I have been genuinely touched by the (free) advice offered to me here. To give one's time and one's hard-fought knowledge for free is a rare and beautiful thing.

IMHO.

Everyones welcome to post freely within the rules Adamam :)

Steve, with reference to Rich2484's earlier comment:

"No one would be able to name any good dealers as that would be against forum rules! "

am I right in thinking that there are no issues with posting regarding good service?

Alec